Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Router VS Direct connection?

In a setup with only one remote are there any inherent advantages / disadvantages to using a router instead of a direct computer - computer connection? Other than one less thing to plug in?
    TIA

Default Re: Router VS Direct connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Johnson View Post
    In a setup with only one remote are there any inherent advantages / disadvantages to using a router instead of a direct computer - computer connection? Other than one less thing to plug in?
    TIA
    I find a wireless router a must so that I can walk the room while mixing. For years I wished I could do this. Not that I can, I've become quite spoiled on this feature.
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)

Yes, that is a wonderful feature.
    Now my question?

Edit: My apologies Donnie, I should have (meant to ) specify in a WIRED setup.

Using the router makes it easier to add other PCs if needed. The router provides DHCP, which means you don't have to program IPs. As for network communications, there would be little to no difference in a two-pc network.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

I ended up with a static IP on my SAC host, but I do like DHCP for the remotes. Many newer NIC's will autosense even negating the need for a special crossover cable. Router may be your better bet though just based on my experience with mine.

If I have nothing connected to my host, ie, forget to grab the router out of the bag and plug it in, my NIC doesn't use the static IP and SAC pulls up on the localhost IP of 127.0.0.1. When I connect to the router the host swaps to its routable IP. I then have to cycle the network hosting in SAC with the menu option to get SAC configured with the correct IP.

If the remote went to sleep and dropped the network, the host may reconfigure the IP and leave SAC a little confused. I don't know, haven't played with it and it might pop back up, configure the old IP and roll right along with it. Just something to test before a gig. Having the router in place would definitely allow a remote to go offline without impacting the host.

Quote Originally Posted by gdougherty View Post
    I ended up with a static IP on my SAC host, but I do like DHCP for the remotes. Many newer NIC's will autosense even negating the need for a special crossover cable. Router may be your better bet though just based on my experience with mine.

If I have nothing connected to my host, ie, forget to grab the router out of the bag and plug it in, my NIC doesn't use the static IP and SAC pulls up on the localhost IP of 127.0.0.1. When I connect to the router the host swaps to its routable IP. I then have to cycle the network hosting in SAC with the menu option to get SAC configured with the correct IP.

If the remote went to sleep and dropped the network, the host may reconfigure the IP and leave SAC a little confused. I don't know, haven't played with it and it might pop back up, configure the old IP and roll right along with it. Just something to test before a gig. Having the router in place would definitely allow a remote to go offline without impacting the host.
    Some of this can be minimized by making the last octet on the router 1, SAC 2, and making 3-254 available to DHCP. Then, set the expire time for DHCP addresses to inf (or the max possible value) and the router will remember the alst 251 MAC addresses and always assign them the same IP... most of us don't have more remotes regularly accessing the system.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Thanks all! Some great info for multiple remote setups. For a single wired remote I'll go direct > computers for the 1 less thing to carry/plug in factor.

Am I correct that loading an instance of sac-remote on the host would keep SAC tuned in so if the real remote went to sleep it would just be a matter of re-establishing the connection with the host?

I'll add that I've never been a fan of ad-hoc networking. It's always persnickety. It seems to work fine one time and then not at all another time. In addition (I'm sure you know) it requires a crossover cable. If you lose or break your network cable, you can usually find a new one at Staples or Wal-Mart. Not sure they carry crossover cables.
    DF

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Johnson View Post
    Thanks all! Some great info for multiple remote setups. For a single wired remote I'll go direct > computers for the 1 less thing to carry/plug in factor.

Am I correct that loading an instance of sac-remote on the host would keep SAC tuned in so if the real remote went to sleep it would just be a matter of re-establishing the connection with the host?
    Read my latest contribution. I'm sure you're aware you have to configure you IP's statically. If you set up an ad-hoc network, let us know how it works out!
    DF

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Frank View Post
    I'll add that I've never been a fan of ad-hoc networking. It's always persnickety. It seems to work fine one time and then not at all another time. In addition (I'm sure you know) it requires a crossover cable. If you lose or break your network cable, you can usually find a new one at Staples or Wal-Mart. Not sure they carry crossover cables.
    That is a major benefit to using a router... and if you mount the router in your rack behind the PC (or simply keep it with the PC), it's not that much more to connect.

BE your sound.