Close

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: OT: "Splitting" a Mic

Quote Originally Posted by JLepore View Post
    If Pin 1 is lifted, phantom is irrelelvent - without pin 1, there is no phantom, which of course means you can't pin 1 lift a mic that requires phantom.
    If I'm not mistaken you could pin 1 lift one side of a spliter cable as long as the other side supplied phantom. You just wouldn't want to put it between the splitter and mic.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Bos View Post
    The Y will work fine with no pin 1 lift required IF you power both preamps from the same power source
    Phantom from both or just 1 still ok AS LONG AS both have phantom capability (some old stuff may not have DC block)

Butch
    Who knows whether newer outboard pre's may be able to handle it either. Anyone want to try it with a couple ADA8000s? I certainly didn't want to try it while using Mike Grace's personal 802 on a recent video shoot.

There are other reasons for using a splitter. Double phantoming could create the mic (condensers of course) to distort. Without an iso transformer, you could be passing interference from one system to another. And if they are very good transformers, the recording from the iso can work to give you a more pleasant sound.

Mic Splitters are more common when sending a split to a recording rig for all the reasons listed. As I understand it, a lot of PA companies just use Y's when splitting FOH and Monitors. But then in that case there is probably more communication between operators and less use of condensers.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Well I guess that would mean that your home made pin one ground lifters you were recommending would not work either. I was merely correcting your comment that the store bought barrel variety has chassis connected to pin 1. They do not.
    Yes, I did say in that post that lifting pin 1 would mean you could not use it on a phantom powered mic. It's not the barrel I was concerned about being bonded to pin 1 (which would make it pretty much useless), but the connectors you were connecting it between. Any of them (or a panel mount) could be grounded to pin 1 and just the fact that these were metal barrels, could be still connecing the circuit.

Naw, I gotta stick around to correct you when you give incorrect info.
    I meant _I_ was gone for the day! Tried their best, but Delta couldn't kill me yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Mic Splitters are more common when sending a split to a recording rig for all the reasons listed. As I understand it, a lot of PA companies just use Y's when splitting FOH and Monitors. But then in that case there is probably more communication between operators and less use of condensers.
    That has not been my experience. Most good PA companies use a splitter snake that has transformers for one of the splits or they are using an active splitter, like something from BSS where the splitter itself provides the phantom power.

But then it's rare that I'm working with one of the folks that have smaller PA companies or the weekend warrior sound person. When I've rented gear or worked at venues it's usually a larger rental company like Eighth Day Sound or a company that does a lot of mid sized rentals around here. Both of them I know only send out isolated splitters of various shapes and sizes. Unless I guess the client asked for it not to be or something. I would suspect that Eighth Day is mostly dealing with some sort of digital snake system now days because they have a fleet of Digico stuff. So in that case the snake itself provides phantom and houses the preamp obviously.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    That has not been my experience. Most good PA companies use a splitter snake that has transformers for one of the splits or they are using an active splitter, like something from BSS where the splitter itself provides the phantom power.
    In my experience, most of the PA companies forgo the huge cost of transformer splitters, and handle the FOH & monitor world issues with ground lifter switches on the splitter box.

The popular opinion seems to be that if a recording truck, or act carrying their own console shows up, they will have the necessary splitters and snakes to interface with the local system, or they'll rent something.

Soundguy

Hi Angie,
    Sorry, but my experience is the opposite. All sound companies of a national or regional size use various quality splitters, with iso transformers and many with pin 1 lifts on each input. Only the smallest of the "little guys" would use Y-cords. Y's are certainly not recommended for widespread use, but my purpose is very limited and hence my OP.

Also, as an aside, there are some analog consoles that have built-in splits. I bought one for Hanson several years ago for their IEMs. I can't remember the brand, but there are several.
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    Hi Angie,
    Sorry, but my experience is the opposite. All sound companies of a national or regional size use various quality splitters, with iso transformers and many with pin 1 lifts on each input. Only the smallest of the "little guys" would use Y-cords. Y's are certainly not recommended for widespread use, but my purpose is very limited and hence my OP.

Also, as an aside, there are some analog consoles that have built-in splits. I bought one for Hanson several years ago for their IEMs. I can't remember the brand, but there are several.
    I was going by Chris' experience, as mine is only with small companies. Maybe things have changed in the last 10 years or so.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

I was going by Chris' experience, as mine is only with small companies. Maybe things have changed in the last 10 years or so.
    In pro audio gear for touring, technology is changing things every week.

Soundguy

In my experience, most of the PA companies forgo the huge cost of transformer splitters, and handle the FOH & monitor world issues with ground lifter switches on the splitter box.

The popular opinion seems to be that if a recording truck, or act carrying their own console shows up, they will have the necessary splitters and snakes to interface with the local system, or they'll rent something.

Soundguy
    That may be your experience, but I have not seen that on any of the pro companies I've worked with. Of course, with the new world coming, almost none of the touring acts needs a splitter anymore - it's all stage rack/digital splits these days.

Quote Originally Posted by JLepore View Post
    Of course, with the new world coming, almost none of the touring acts needs a splitter anymore - it's all stage rack/digital splits these days.
    Even then, many sound companies go with dual stage racks and a splitter. The reason being that if an act has their own IEM/monitor console rig, then they have another complete system to rent out. I'm one of the weekend warriors RB referred to. Touring guys make tour-based decisions.

Soundguy
    Last edited by Soundguy; 11-21-2011 at 12:01 PM.