Close

UK A&H with SAC insert - SAWstudio_Lynx Aurora16_API-Neve Preamps_Behrckie controller

Default JL Cooper CS32 control surface simple question..

It's probably been covered before but I wonder if anyone has ever used JL Cooper CS32 with SAC or SAW via midi.

I am happy with the BCF2000 and my medium set up but I'd like a very portable mini desk surface with possibly more faders so to speak and it seems there is only one that isn't produced any more actually. If you know any other options .. with the same control.. minimum.. faders/soso/mute/possible pan! cheers

UK A&H with SAC insert - SAWstudio_Lynx Aurora16_API-Neve Preamps_Behrckie controller

Default Re: JL Cooper CS32 control surface simple question..

Or what about experience with Korg Nano Kontrol2.. those are small and I can get 16 faders with very little footprint..

AFAIK, any midi controller can be used with sac. Bob has programmed several templates to be used with some controllers. In order to use a non supported controller, the controller has to support emulating a supported device. Or you have to figure out what midi commands or sysex are sent for each function and then programming your controller to send those commands.
    Harley Morgan

SAC Host: Intel H55 with I3-560, 320 gb hd, RME RayDat, 4x Behringer ADA8k

SAC: 1 x 64, 32channels, eq, dyn on all channels, 10 monitor mixes. 30%

System: Meyer UPA-1C (tops) SW118IV(subs) Yamaha CM15V (monitors)
    http://www.sixstringsclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by hkmorgan87 View Post
    AFAIK, any midi controller can be used with sac. Bob has programmed several templates to be used with some controllers. In order to use a non supported controller, the controller has to support emulating a supported device. Or you have to figure out what midi commands or sysex are sent for each function and then programming your controller to send those commands.
    I get that thank you.. my question is more if anyone has experience of using those mini controllers with no motorised faders and so on.. the korg is cheap, I want to find out if it is worth it or better stick with mouse!

Non motorized faders is pretty much a bust in SAC and SAW... since as soon as you change FKey views and the controller chases, the faders are no longer representing the actual values... and even if you lock the surface to one set of chans... the inital fader position can not jump to the proper starting position and it then forces you to never adjust them onscreen, because the surface can not follow...

Bad idea... use one of the supported surfaces.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Non motorized faders is pretty much a bust in SAC and SAW... since as soon as you change FKey views and the controller chases, the faders are no longer representing the actual values... and even if you lock the surface to one set of chans... the inital fader position can not jump to the proper starting position and it then forces you to never adjust them onscreen, because the surface can not follow...

Bad idea... use one of the supported surfaces.

Bob L
    you're right thanks.

As long as you know what you're doing I think you can use a surface with non motorized faders. But you have to know what you're doing, plan accordingly and not change your working methods.

I almost never mix with the mouse. The only time I move the faders on the screen is when they are past the control surface faders which I do not want changing during the show.

I'll always go for motor faders whenever possible of course. But I have mixed in SAC with a Peavey PC1600 for the exact reason you mention. I had very limited space and I wanted 16 faders. It worked OK.

Obviously different strokes for different folks...

It's all about knowing what you need to do and then finding the best tool for the job.

Having said that, I have a Korg Nano Kontrol. While I use it fairly often, I would never want to mix a show with that and SAC. The fader throws are two short and there is no where near enough finesse available to mix a live show. It's a great tool for manipulating plug ins and such on your DAW... but it would be terrible to mix with.

About the only thing I could see using it for would be fairly coarse adjustments and you could perhaps make use of the buttons for On/Off type stuff. I could think of a few situations where this might be handy, but not all that many.

The JL Cooper is the same, those faders are even smaller than the Korg. At least in the width of the handles, they might be about the same in throw length, don't know. But I remember looking at one of those and thinking that I can barely get my fingers in there to work those things and I am far from being one of those guys that has a bear paw for a hand.

To sum up I would add that in general I agree with Bob. I would not recommend non motorized faders to most SAC users. But they do have their uses if you know what you're doing.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/