Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default OK, so here's a dumb VSTi question...

I'm not at the church now, but if no one knows, I will check it out and report back...

Let's say I have a VSTi that output's 8 channels of drums...all in mono.

If output 3 & 4 of the VSTi are Toms L & Toms R, could I set up a stereo channel on the 3'r output in SAC (IE: if you have the VSTi on SAC input 1, then you would make SAC input 3 a stereo channel)?

Currently I have 3 & 4 set up as a latch, and it works fine, but if I could just set it up as a stereo channel, that would mean less clutter on screen.

mm0

Default Re: OK, so here's a dumb VSTi question...

The vsti synth sets the output format to mono or stereo... if your vst can adjust the mode for all or individual chans, then SAC or SAWStudio will follow along in the out assignment menu.

Bob L

OK, Superior Drummer only does all stereo, or all mono (from what I can tell at least), and I see no reason to have the extra overhead to have stereo channels on Kick, snare, or hi-hat, so I will leave it as is, with the latched channels...

Thanks for the quick answer!

mm0

Hi,

because SAC handles each channel as stereo, there is no need to run the plug ins in mono, even if it seems to make no sense at all,... but wait.. what about a snare with reverb..

Tomy
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

I use aux sends for reverb, so I still get a stereo verb.

Okay, I thought about some special 'Phil Collins Style' snare sounds, which would benefit from stereo.

Tomy
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

Sorry to hijack this thread. I am new to SAC; I've been a longtime Nuendo user. I am mixing for our web-based live stream on a remote. I cannot use my URS plugs because they do not work. They work fine on the FOH, but when I open them on the remote, nothing. The native reverbs and such work when I insert them on the channels, however, when I add the URS, they do not affect the signal. Any suggestions?

Bobby... certain vst plugs will not function in SAC if they add latency... they will work in a DAW that can compensate for latency... but SAC is a live engine and there can be no look-ahead to compensate for a plugin delaying the signal.

Make sure these plugs do not add latency by clicking in the blue pyramid at the top of the VST holding window and check the reported latency value... it must be zero.

Now... I am not sure if I understood correctly but it did sound like you said they work when patched in the host... if that is the case... then they will be ok in a remote as well... but in a remote, the audio is not passing thru the plug... it is just there as a visual interface... if you make changes on a vst remote... you will then have to right-click the pyramid icon to transmit the changes to the host... since these plugs are not remote network protocol aware.

Look at the details of using plugins on a remote in the SAC helpfile or pdf manual.

You can also make plugin changes from a remote by creating a few scenes that change the plugin settings and recall those scenes from the remote to cause the plugin to change settings.

Bob L

Hello, and thanks for the reply. In our system, consisting of seven Behringer ADA800 and a few RME cards, we have our FOH and a monitor setup for in-ear operation at the stage controlled by the musician/singer on laptops (similar to an Aviom system). We have a stereo line ran to an upstairs studio into our Mackie 4880 with a desktop running the remote. I was assuming I had raw audio channels to mix completely unprocessed from a pool of raw audio from the stage. It seems counter-inuitive to mix post EQ/Dynamics and fader from FOH on the remote for our live-stream broadcast, after all, what works well and sounds proper for the FOH system may be out of balance sending to our internet viewers. I prefer the URS plugs because I am very familiar with their sound and performance (easy CPU load and low latency). The plugins work nicely with the FOH, however, I cannot get them to be used in the remote. They open, but no processing of the signal is done. Is this possible? If not, the only other option I have at this point is to run a snake upstairs, use a two way mic splitter to send the signal from the stage to the behringers and the snake and in to the console. I have tons of outboard gear such as gates, compressors, and effects in a rack to insert from the console and mix from a more traditional approach. I would like to try to avoid the latter if the mixing of raw, or unaffected, signal can be accomplished. Thanks for your time and any insight or advice is much appreciated.

10. Default Re: OK, so here's a dumb VSTi question...

All of the audio processing takes place on the host machine. The remotes are simply control interfaces that let multiple people control the host machine at the same time, so you need to load the plugins on the host.
    Last edited by Paul Henry; 01-06-2012 at 01:45 PM.