Close

Default My Winter Projects

Been using Sac for almost a year now and decided to 'commit' my rig to SAC over the winter as a project.

I play keyboards in a band and also do sound/lights. The rack you see doubles as my keyboard stand and also puts all the inputs/outputs and wireless receivers/transmitters at a really convenient place on stage.

Basically went through and got the shortest patch cables possible to tidy everything up. Also had the idea of a 'power gutter' that lives at the bottom of the rack. There is about 2.5" inches of space underneath the white grid you see in the photos. This is where all wall-warts, power supplies, and everything else ugly lives! The grid allows us to still put a small snake (for e-drum inputs) and a few other wires on top of it for transport.

Also put in a patch bay so all external connections (a few mic's and outs to powered speakers/subs/monitors) are done in a central location [I spent an amusing 20 minutes during one setup trying to figure out which of the 8 outputs on the back of my 2626 went to subs vs wedges! I vowed to never do that again!]

The little key-device you see on the right of the piano is an X-Keys 24key keyboard emulator. Through a series of using SAC F-keys and setting up the 24key X-Keys to send the correct key strokes I can do 95% of the things I need during shows/practice using only that pad and while playing piano!

Thanks to Bob for creating such an extraordinary product that has allowed our band to do some really cool things. I look forward to the next release with great anticipation.

Also thanks to this community which is one of the best on-line groups I follow. I am a lurker (by nature) and have taken much valuable advice, and been greatly entertained, from your posts. Thank you all.

Any questions on anything feel free.

Back Patch Bay (and yes I have shorter ADAT cables coming!)

Front

X-Keys Controller for SAC

.... and for the truly brave - my band's latest outing and first live performance of Hotel California - using SAC. Note: this is NOT a Sac recording but a stereo mic on a camera!

http://blip.tv/sgenius/heads-on-stam...fornia-5891022

2. Default Re: My Winter Projects

Is this on a beach bar or something? Can't get over the table of people smoking in front of the camera.

Default Re: My Winter Projects

Tony,

I saw some of the stuff you have done with the X-Keys controllers. Have you tried to use move than one of these to control different monitor boards. Here is what I am thinking.
    Use 2-3 on these X-key pan controllers on one computer. Each one would be connected to a different monitor board, so you could have 2-3 band members using there own controller but only needing one computer.
    Do have any thoughts about this?
    Thanks,
    Garth

Quote Originally Posted by garth.bowman View Post
    Tony,

I saw some of the stuff you have done with the X-Keys controllers. Have you tried to use move than one of these to control different monitor boards. Here is what I am thinking.
    Use 2-3 on these X-key pan controllers on one computer. Each one would be connected to a different monitor board, so you could have 2-3 band members using there own controller but only needing one computer.
    Do have any thoughts about this?
    Thanks,
    Garth
    Garth, you've mentioned this in several threads now. This really isn't the best way to do what you want to do. The different controllers could and would fight for control of the computer and the result would be people making a mess of others' mixes.

Given that these controllers are as expensive as they are, you'd be much better off buying several cheap netbooks (on eBay, they go all day for $200, and can be had for much less). If you don't mind a larger footprint, refurbished laptops go for $100-$150. This gives everyone full control of their mix, saves you time and hassle, and opens up more functionality.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Tony,
    I too use x-keys.
    I am wondering how you printed the key labels.
    They look very nice!
    Clifford A. Fahl
    Audio-Visual Director
    Senior Audio Engineer
    South Coast Fellowship Church

Win 7 Ultimate, 60GB Corsair SSD, I5 2500K 3.3GHZ, 8GB Kingston Hyper X, ASUS Sabertooth P67
    ----------------------------------------------------
    2- RME Raydat, 2- Focusrite OctoPre Dyn, 4-ADA8000, 1-Mackie MCU/XT, 37in Vizio LED