Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Question for Bob on Plug In effects

Hi Bob

as you probably know i was originally questioning the quality of plugs vs my outboard gear. suffice to say i am now selling some of my better stuff because i am convinced SAW can do what i want internally

i was very curious if you could tell me what Plugs you have loaded?? i have the stock ones, have downloaded some of the classic ones that were free, and am signed up for the anwida bundle

and i was REALLY wondering if you could tell us what plugs and settings you might use for vocals/acoustic guitar/drums/bass etc

i have watched the video's on the website and they are great, i was just wondering if you could give me a starting point for what you use, settings and stuff like that??

both for the mix and then mastering??

thanks Bob

ps - if you don't have the time that is cool too, just htought i woudl ask

Default Re: Question for Bob on Plug In effects

Everyone works differently. I keep my plugin usage pretty lean compared to most, from what I can gather in some of these forum discussions.

I love the Anwida stuff for all my modulation type effects... I use mostly my internal eq and compressors... I hardly use the gates... I usually cut the regions up and use softedges on each side to give me absolute control over background leakage without having to fight for proper threshold settings that won't mis-trigger.

I pretty much have all the reverb I need with my plugin and the Spazio... I will usually supplement my reverb with an echo module in front for pre-delay and an eq after for tone adjustments.

Once in a while, Autotune finds its way into troubled tracks.

For mastering, I am a happy camper simply using the Levelizer for the final CD master. I will get my mixes the way I like them, and then decide how far to push the dynamics for each song according to the type of song. The Levelizer does this the most transparently for my tastes and does not mess with my mix dynamics that I worked so hard to create.

In general, I will try to layout my tracks first... do the edits and performance decision making next, then set up a basic mix and eq and dimension... then tweak with automation, followed by the final Levelize.

The process works well for me... and I usually do all CD projects straight at 44100 x 16 bits... no need for dither and SRC decisions.

DV projects I usually do at 48k and 16 bits. Render the results back to DV format, then convert for the web or DVD from there.

It has been many years now since I have wandered outside the virtual environment for audio projects... I cannot imagine working any other way ever again... until possibly the next generation of SAW changes the paradigm again.

Bob L

WOW!

thanks bob, i have to laugh a little cause i asked for that. i understood about half of what you said, but it sure sounded sweet!

My stuff is very straight forward pop/acoustic/ maybe pop country. think dave mathews meets john cougar??

actually more like an acoustic/lighter ac/dc

strange huh??

most of my songs are

drums - normal 5 piece set would work

2 rhythm acoustics - doubled

usually some kind of acoustic riffs - doubled

bass

usually some strings

main vocal

and some harmony vocals (usually 1-3 tracks)

when i was on the 2480 and outboard gear it was funny because i ended up using 1-2 reverbs, some delay, panned how i wanted, some automation and then mix it down and all the rest never got touched

after that master it on the 2480 in the mastering room

so for me now i am trying to get my "sound" together in SAW. my first song is almost done, the music is all recorded except for some overdubs at this point

basically i ran the acoustic straight into a 410 into SAW
    bass is played live off my triton
    vocals - AT4050 ->avalon M5 ->410 to SAW
    String - played live off triton to 410 to SAW

the sound has been very good but sort of thin and trebly (acoustic wise), which is probably the driect acoustic issue. so i was looking into some EQ/reverb/delay/panning advice (i basically pan one acoustic hard left and the double hard right to start out)

the bass sounds amazing in SAW. straight off the triton it is deep and rich. the vocal sounds great too, although here too i am trying to find my "sound" some of the plugs i have used so far haven't sounded to hot, but that is because i don't know them yet. also waiting for the spazio and anwida stuff

bought the levelizer too

i am probably over analyzing the situation

anyway thank for your input, someday i will understand more what you are trying to say

robert has been a huge help too manuvering though SAW

do you ever listen to a song and give advice?? what would you charge to listen to a song along with all the track notes to give some feedback??

thanks Bob

you do know it is still insane to be able to talk directly to the developer of a product and get feedback.

crazy

the sound has been very good but sort of thin and trebly (acoustic wise), which is probably the driect acoustic issue.
    Trock,

If you have a place to record that's quiet enough, try that AT4050 on your acoustic guitar. You've got three polar patterns, so I'd experiment with them and the mic placement until you find just the right combination to give you the blend of depth and breath that suites the song and your taste best.

If you have a second mic, even a cheapo can work, try double micing the guitar too..... you'll get a great stereo image with a bit of trial and error.

Also, do a web search for mic setup tips for recording acoustic guitar... I know there's some out there that will really help.... some of my original ideas about using mics on guitar (which I rarely did for years) came from some outstanding articles in Electronic Musician magazine and such..... Maybe search their archives for some good tips.

Acoustic guitar is dynamite and recorded the right way will sound even more spectacular in Saw, even recorded dry.

DanT

Quote Originally Posted by trock
    WOW!

think dave mathews meets john cougar??
    And what might they talk about?

fvf
    Frank V. Farrell
    TD / Kenny Rogers Productions
    W0FVF
    ETTI,LLC
    http://www.CIALLC.com

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L
    until possibly the next generation of SAW changes the paradigm again.
    Quote Originally Posted by ffarrell
    And what might they talk about?
    SAC? (sorry, too much caffeine after tonight's session)

I'm sure many members here would be happy to listen to your stuff and give you all kinds of pointers for free about how they might modify it.

Bob L

It has been many years now since I have wandered outside the virtual environment for audio projects... I cannot imagine working any other way ever again... until possibly the next generation of SAW changes the paradigm again.

Bob L
    Oh, NO!! Not sure if I'm anxiously waiting for the 'next generation of SAW' or anxious because I'm afraid of being too old to accept 'paradigm change' again!!

You giving a 'glimpse' of 'things to come'?? Keep up the good work, Bob!!
    John
    Mountain Media, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by trock
    and i was REALLY wondering if you could tell us what plugs and settings you might use for vocals/acoustic guitar/drums/bass etc
    You'll find that the defaults really say it all... All the default settings are very musical. They always make great starting points... Engage the compressor, reach for the threshold control. Engage the EQ, go straight for the sliders. You'll be in the ballpark for good results and you can tweak attack and release times from there, sweep frequencies etc. The Delay plugin will often sound appropriate just the way it's set up. If it doesn't, don't miss the "offset cursor" it displays in the waveform... good for tempo synced delays. All of this is an expression of how the man himself works with SAWStudio.

For dependable results try setting your release times to sync with the tempo of the tune also... quarters, eigths, half's... whatever, then go from there.

Study those videos closely. You'll see many secrets revealed.

I'm sure many members here would be happy to listen to your stuff and give you all kinds of pointers for free about how they might modify it.