Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Question for Bob on Plug In effects

The mixer settings in RME's Totalmix won't affect your input level Trock, only the volume that you hear in your speakers and/or headphones.
    In Saw, when you have your record meter showing, there's an adjustment for bringing up your input level. Just left-click in the box above the word "Input" on the meter... that's whee you normally tell Saw which input device to record from.... there, you'll see what you're looking for.

It also sounds as though you're sending the wrong output level to the RME from your preamp. You shouldn't have your preamp meters in the red (or at least not clipping). Check to see if your preamp outputs have a way to switch the output level to a hotter one. Check in the RME Totalmix also to make sure the input levels are not maxed out coming in to the soundcard.

DanT

thanks dan, i need to tweak this and figure it out for sure cause my max input with a really hot signal was -24 in SAW

i will check this out tomrrow when i can

thanks!

ahhh i see it

"adjust input levels"

so i just play with that to get it up to about -10 or so??

sound good??

It might get you by, but I'd say you'll have to dig deeper than that in the end. There's no reason you shouldn't get peaks that easily max the Saw record meter without putting your hardware in the red.

The only time I've run into this problem is when I was running through the onboard sound from the motherboard..... then the Saw input adjustment came in real handy. I believe that was a recent addition by the way, thanks to Bob listening to his customer's concerns and then responding with results.

If the Saw adjustment is the only one you can make, try to get your peaks in or near the red, more like -3 instead of -10.

DanT

weird isn;t it??

i mean the peluso, API, RME combo is good and loud, at least the API can be seen hitting the red at times?

but -24 mono in is all i get no matter what i do with this vocal stuff

i also have a very hard time hearing it in the headphones as you can imagine and even though i have mono in selected it is in the left ear and very low, so the mix in my head is bad and hard to hear properly

the music is really loud and i can;t hear my vocal hardly at all

6. Default Re: Question for Bob on Plug In effects

+4 vs -10 somewhere in the chain?
    (wild guess)
    Jon Ketcham
    Sound Suite
    Holly Springs, NC, USA

7. Default Re: Question for Bob on Plug In effects

Trock,
    Your second post in this thread included:
    Quote Originally Posted by trock
    *snip*basically i ran the acoustic straight into a 410 into SAW
    bass is played live off my triton
    vocals - AT4050 ->avalon M5 ->410 to SAW
    String - played live off triton to 410 to SAW**
    I see the AT4050 (mic), the avalon M5 (mic pre), and a 410 ( I'll assume this refers to an M-Audio FireWire interface box)

Your next post includes:
    Quote Originally Posted by trock
    I am proud to announce i have finally cit my first scratch vocal in SAW with my peluso mic and API pre, and with a touch of RNC comp coming in i have a really great soung song at this point.

i have to say one strage thing is incoming levels, my API is in the RED and in SAW it is at -24, on the RME i have the input ALL the way up. is there some way to raise the incoming signal to about -10 at least and leave some headroom but get it higher than -24 on vocals??
    I imagine you shifted away from the AT4050 (mic) to a Peluso (mic), also shifted from an Avalon M5(mic pre) to an API (Mystery Model mic pre), and finally ditched the M-Audio 410 interface for an RME (Mysterica) interface. Not trying to be funny or even critical, I'm just trying to follow correctly. From what I read, every piece of equipment in your vocal chain changed from one thread to the next. Can you tell us; Did the problem with levels exist with the AT4050 ->avalon M5 ->410 to SAW combination? Does the Peluso (Mystery Model) mic have an attenuation switch? Is it an active mic? What are the outputs (and output settings) of the API (Mystery Model)? On the RME Mysterica, is there a model name/number? What are the Mysterica's inputs (and input settings)?

I'm only trying to illustrate that it is a challenge, perhaps very difficult to trace this level problem without the provision of more equipment/settings details. Based on information you've provided, it seems that the signal level is strong up to your interface (the Mysterica). So I would concentrate on the settings of the interface, and perhaps check the cabling between the mic pre and the interface for damage/malfunction/wrong cable.

Lastly, is there a plugin (like limiter/compressor, the RNC/leveler) on the vocal channel that may be reducing the level indication?
    Chicks Rule. . .

Hey Kent

Sorry, i should have updated the post, i had forgotten in the interim i did sell the M5, the 4050, and the 410 i switched to my MAC

i do now only use the peluso, API/RNC, then RME FF 800

the 4050 and the M5 were not working for me sound wise so i sold them and have this new set up

thanks

My best guess is that you are losing gain on the RNC. Check level when totally bypassing the RNC, then with it in, makeup the gain on the output side of the RNC.

Regards,

MM
    Michael McInnis Productions

i will do that

thanks! it has to be something in the chain, i know the RME is set for +4

i think the API is too but the RNC i think may not do that??

i will check