Close

Default Real topic... Hey Bob, one more...

Ok - "slipping all" is truly wonderful! Really has made my life easier. Thanks you.

I've got an issue I'd like your thoughts on, though it might be particular to my DAW. When I tab to the start of a region and press "B" to start the marked area, it jumps in a few frames. It places the beginning of the marked area not at the start of the region, but further in a bit and it's not consistent on different tracks even in the same session.

I changed to "Samples" on the timeline so I could measure the offset more easily and between the two random tracks I studied, the beginning of the marked area was "indented" from the actual start of the region by 10 on one track and by 167 samples on the other.

Of course, you have to zoom in most all the way to see it but if you don't get in there and by hand drag the mark back to the beginning of the region, the slip will fail. That's what I've been doing to get by but I wanted you to know this is going on. I shouldn't - and really don't want to - trust myself to manually be sample accurrate on these marks.

I have no snapping or grids turned on. My method is to make a "K" cut across all the tracks at the end of a song, then at the start of the next song I'll make another similar cut and delete each track's region between the two cuts and then slip everything that's left downstream up into the end of the leading region.

So - do I have to be snapping to a grid when I make cuts in order to accurrately mark the resultant regions? Don't recall having to do that before.

BTW - I've already done each of the Windows 7 setup preferences in that you prefer. The video card is a on-board ATI Radion HD 1450. The driver's current and works well. I've never had this happen in any SS work I've done through the years nor has it happened in any of the other editing - video or audio - in the other software. I'm not sure if I've done an edit of this magnitude in 96k in Studio - this is a very load-heavy intense edl of a 1 1/2hr concert. Could it have anything to do with it being at 96k?

Chris

Default Re: Hey Bob, one more...

Sorry for the "Real Topic" header - when I posted this there were a dozen spam messages lined up and I wanted to stand out from that company.

Man you work fast, Bob! Having seen all that spam briefly, makes me wonder how often you have to "clean house" like that!!
    Chris

So - this work-around might work for anyone else so afflicted...it's very quick to do:

1 - mark your region beginning and end.
    2 - shift tab to get back to the start of the region. In my case, the beginning of the mark is now slightly indented from the beginning of the region.
    3 - hold the left mouse button down and drag to the left along the timeline bottom to manually move the beggining of the mark to BFORE the start of the region..keep holding down the left mouse button....
    4 - hit "Tab" to snap curser to the region start
    5 - let up on the left mouse button.

The mark's beginning will snap back to the region's beginning perfeclty.

Just on the off chance that anyone else will ever even have this as an issue......

Chris

Default Re: Real topic... Hey Bob, one more...

Sounds like you have the automatic zero-crossing option ON... this will snap the marks to the closest zero crossing sample... this is useful when you need it... but I highly recommend you turn the auto option OFF and then your mark begin and end will mark at the exact sample it is resting on.

The softedge option has taken over from the zero crossing option for smoothing out region edit splices.

Bob L

Indeed I did! And of course that would be the result!! Duh........

Well now we know how to manually override the auto zero option as well.

Thanks Bob.
    Chris