Close

1. Default Optical to Coaxial Converters

Are any of you guys using optical to coaxial converters as digital inputs or outputs in your systems? I've got a Mac Pro at FOH that has an optical output. I'd rather use the digital output and save 2 analong inputs on my SAC rig if possible.

Also, what about analog to digital converters? I don't think my CD player has a digital output but would using a converter do the trick?

Thanks,

Default Re: Optical to Coaxial Converters

You can get cd players with Spdif outputs. I'm using the built-in cd drive and media players looped on the Spdif channels of my RayDAT. I can play anything I want that way except for cassette tapes. Haven't seen those in a long while though.

I have occasionally used them in my sets ups. I have an old Alesis AI-1 that can do that and the MOTU 2408 units can be used for that functionality to, in stand alone mode. The 2408 units make great conversion tools in a pinch.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Here's what I had ordered from www.monoprice.com a few months ago to use with my Focusrite VRM Box:

Product # 2948
    ***8729; Optical Toslink to Coaxial (RCA) Digital Audio Converter
    ***8729; Price = $11.72

Product # 2681
    ***8729; 3ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable M/M RG6U 75ohm Gold connector (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video)
    ***8729; Price = $3.42

Subtotal = $15.14
    Shipping & Handling Cost = $5.95
    GRAND TOTAL = $21.09

Works great...very satisfied.

HTH,
    Míke È. Déè

I have built something like this into my computer years ago. PC had coaxial SPDIF in/out headers on the motherboard. My minidisc deck connected through optical. Toshiba TOTX173 and TORX173 and a few cents worth of resistors and caps did the trick.
    --
    El cheapo SAC host V1.0: Lenovo - C2D E6550 - 2GB RAM - RME Digiface
    El cheapo SAC host V2.0: Fujitsu - i3-6300 - 8GB RAM - RME Digiface USB - (3) ADA8200 - 17" TFT

There are situations where I need to convert opt to coax. I use an fx processor for that purpose.

It doubles as extra i/o's for the multiface as well as some form of panic push/mute buttons + volume pot; might come handy for some applications.

The FX processor stage even proves useful on my guitar rig. A limiter might be used for certain outs. I even like the reverbs...

The unit is a Behringer REV24. They come awfully cheap. It's a sturdy box that might very well feature the same AD/DA as the Ada8000. Comes with wordclock and slaves like a champ thru spdif.

One of my best kept secrets. err... no more