Close

1. Default ideas of 32 or 48in diy touch lcd for sac(your views)

hey guys been thinking about a touch screen for sac. I looked at the options and found the 3m nice but over priced imo, looked at the hp and the reviews, not what i expected and how i just got to thinking about 2 different options;
    1. a multi touch table
    2. http://peauproductions.com/store/ind...69995d7a16b385

tell me guys how possible this is and give me your ideas on it thanks.

Default Re: ideas of 32 or 48in diy touch lcd for sac(your views)

Right now, SAC won't work with any multitouch capabilities other than the 3M.

3. Default Re: ideas of 32 or 48in diy touch lcd for sac(your views)

4. Default Re: ideas of 32 or 48in diy touch lcd for sac(your views)

Quote Originally Posted by dasbin View Post
    Right now, SAC won't work with any multitouch capabilities other than the 3M.
    how hard is it to incorporate this into see that this is some sort of midi controller

5. Default Re: ideas of 32 or 48in diy touch lcd for sac(your views)

Most larger screens, while being physically larger, don't actually give you more desktop real estate as the maximum resolution is usually the same or even less than that of a smaller monitor (refering to 42 LED TV's etc).

So if you are running 1920x1080 on a 20" LED, and you have a 42" TV/Monitor running the sme max resolution, all you get is a bigger picture which when you are up close as in the case of a touch screen, is probably not what you want.

A large screen would give you more grief in certain situations as well. In a theater/soft seater people behind you would hate you due to all of the light thrown off by your screen, not to mention the sightline/audioline issues if it was vertical. Outside in bright sunlight, it would be totally washed out and harder to shade from the sun - so you'd have to mix under a backdrop or something.

A big screen TV works well for presentations, and in situations where you are sitting far away from it, but becase it does not give you twice the resolution of a monitor half it's size, their practical uses are limited.

Quote Originally Posted by marlon66 View Post
    how hard is it to incorporate this into see that this is some sort of midi controller
    I think multitouch is way overrated for SAC control. If you're going to use touch screen, single-touch is probably a heck of a lot safer than multi-touch. If you really want to manipulate multiple controls at one time, the tactile feedback of a real (physical) control surface can't be beat.
    Cheers,
    Randy Hyde
    -------------------
    For the interested, SAC setup here: http://www.plantation-productions.co.../SACSetup.html
    Plantation Productions:http://www.plantation-productions.com

7. Default Re: ideas of 32 or 48in diy touch lcd for sac(your views)

I don't fully agree, Randy, on the multi-touch assessment:

When I've used the iPad with AC-7 Core on SAC, I've felt there was value in multi-touch up to two or three simultaneous inputs. Beyond that, the size of my fingers and hands, and the size of the screen on the iPad didn't allow more than that. BUT having two or three faders under direct control WAS quite useful.

Not saying it's a panacea. And I am not trying to start a fight, but I think multi-touch has potential, particularly if a iPad app was developed to exploit the interface capabilities.

Just my two cents.

JJ

8. Default Re: ideas of 32 or 48in diy touch lcd for sac(your views)

How about something like this for a control surface?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWhbKHNildM

UK A&H with SAC insert - SAWstudio_Lynx Aurora16_API-Neve Preamps_Behrckie controller

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...08239810_n.jpg

it is working progress and needs finishing but it is standardised for SAC SAW "controller" as far as I am concerned.. For:
    - host or
    - wired remote or
    - wireless remote with laptop or
    - daisy chained with several identical units for 16 or more channels..

So you also can have one unit for monitoring, an other one for remote FOH wired..
    and a lot of other ways if you wish..

there is space on top for the touch monitor for xkeys.. but I am not sure I would use it actually.. that was an idea that might not be necessary although smart and intuitive.

I am trying to get absolutely the most of my usb mini pc keyboard not featured here yet.. When that settled, I will have a skin colour coded made for it for all shortcut keys on SAC and SAW..
    I think that is all you need to operate.

you have touch screen, shortcuts, faders, smart trackball..and it feels like a hardware.