Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16 44.1

Default Re: 16 44.1

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Sounds like you're saying if he doesn't convert the files to 24-bit, the software won't do it's internal processing at that depth. I wouldn't think that's right, and so I would think there'd be no advantage to doing that conversion. As far as optimizing the use of the bit range via normalizing, he could do that in the program with simple gain changes, I'd think.

Am I mad?

Yes you are mad... but I wasn't being very clear...

What I meant is what Grekim stated. In most DAWs I've seen, if you run the audio engine at 16 for example, it will store files as 16 bit data and I would assume it's doing most of it's processing and mixing in much higher resolutions. However it is possible in some DAWs to run the engine at 24 bits and have it store 16 bit data. Not sure about the other way around, never really tried. So in that case you could potentially be throwing away data.

Also in some editors such as Sound Forge the engine is not really separated from the file. Granted editors like Forge are not really a DAW... but what the recipient was going to do with the files wasn't really specified by the OP either, although one would assume it's being loaded into blow tools....

So for example in Forge, if I have a 16 bit file and do processing to it, I would suspect that some data will be thrown away as soon as I save as the processing would be done at the resolution of whatever the plug-in(s) wish to work at. I think you can also set the temporary files to lock to a certain resolution if you wish. (if my memory serves) Anyway, if I was going to do some work in Forge and I wanted to be able to do my work in steps rather than all in a single work session, the first thing I would do to 16 bit files would be to save them as 24 bit or even 32 bit float. Then resave them to whatever my final format my end delivery was going to be in.

So no, not mad, but it all depends on what the files are, how they were originally recorded, what else needs to be done to them and likely also what kind of material we are talking about as well as some other things I'm not thinking about at the moment.

No point here really... just saying..
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    Yes you are mad... but I wasn't being very clear...

What I meant is what Grekim stated. In most DAWs I've seen, if you run the audio engine at 16 for example, it will store files as 16 bit data and I would assume it's doing most of it's processing and mixing in much higher resolutions. However it is possible in some DAWs to run the engine at 24 bits and have it store 16 bit data. Not sure about the other way around, never really tried. So in that case you could potentially be throwing away data.

Also in some editors such as Sound Forge the engine is not really separated from the file. Granted editors like Forge are not really a DAW... but what the recipient was going to do with the files wasn't really specified by the OP either, although one would assume it's being loaded into blow tools....

So for example in Forge, if I have a 16 bit file and do processing to it, I would suspect that some data will be thrown away as soon as I save as the processing would be done at the resolution of whatever the plug-in(s) wish to work at. I think you can also set the temporary files to lock to a certain resolution if you wish. (if my memory serves) Anyway, if I was going to do some work in Forge and I wanted to be able to do my work in steps rather than all in a single work session, the first thing I would do to 16 bit files would be to save them as 24 bit or even 32 bit float. Then resave them to whatever my final format my end delivery was going to be in.

So no, not mad, but it all depends on what the files are, how they were originally recorded, what else needs to be done to them and likely also what kind of material we are talking about as well as some other things I'm not thinking about at the moment.

No point here really... just saying..
    OK, well... I'm still seeing no reason for him to convert his 16-bit files to 24-bit. Pain, no gain.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    OK, well... I'm still seeing no reason for him to convert his 16-bit files to 24-bit. Pain, no gain.

I'm not sure I would view a few mouse clicks and typing in a new file name as "pain"....

But yes if you are thinking solely from working in a SAW environment, there is little to be gained. And likely little lost in sending out 16 bit files either, other than ego points.

In the end why the client of the OP would make a bunch of judgments prior to listening to the work is the real mystery that needs to be solved.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

and taking a stab at Slow Tools users while I was at it...
    Even decades old versions of Slow Tools automatically convert files to session format on the way in. No outboard conversion required. Slow Toos v10 allows mixed bit depth and sample rates in the same session if you prefer, including 32 bit floating point so you can import from more formats without losing resolution.

So you're stabbing the wrong DAW

But as Dave L. said, the guy probably wanted the higher fidelity of files originally recorded at 24 bits. But then there is nothing to be gained by converting 16 bit to 24 bit.

Soundguy
    Last edited by Soundguy; 04-01-2012 at 09:27 AM.

I'm not sure I would view a few mouse clicks and typing in a new file name as "pain"....

Wow. I think we differ on every point you made. With the possible exception of the 'pain' remark. I meant pain as in PITA, which is a bit less serious than actual pain.

But yes if you are thinking solely from working in a SAW environment, there is little to be gained. And likely little lost in sending out 16 bit files either, other than ego points.
    Actually, I was thinking solely from working in the PT environment, which is what the OP describes as what his client is doing. And, although it can be argued that that little is lost by sending 16 bit files, there's some lost, depending on the quality of the recording. But you know that.

In the end why the client of the OP would make a bunch of judgments prior to listening to the work is the real mystery that needs to be solved.
    Well, 16-bit audio can only be "so" good. 24-bit can be better. So, maybe he just has real high standards. Maybe his golden ears are offended by 16-bit files the way mine are by 8-bit files.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts