Close

Default Another Presonus FireStudio Question

I have my Presonus Firestudio hooked up to my laptop (Dell Vostro 1500 Win XP pro) running SSL.

I am using ASIO protocol and in Audio Device Setup, I get the appropriate options for "in" (Presonus 1, 3, 5 and 7) but on the out side, my only options are Presonus 1, 3, and 5. So I set them up in that order.

However, when I try to record, I get an error message "No valid output for track selected" (paraphrased). I can see that it is a problem because there are really no outs to Presonus 1,3,5. The Firestudio has a "main out" but not individual outs. It seems like SSL should be able to send the out signal to the Firestudio main outs, but that doesn't show as an option. Also, I don't get the option to default the out to the laptop's internal sound card (SigmaTel) in the ASIO protocol.

So, it looks like all the inputs are working fine, it is just an output problem and SSL does not recognize "Presonus 1" as a valid output....but I don't get to choose another option. Any thoughts on how to handle this.

As always, thanks for your support and insight.

Steve

Default Re: Another Presonus FireStudio Question

Quote Originally Posted by smp View Post
    I have my Presonus Firestudio hooked up to my laptop (Dell Vostro 1500 Win XP pro) running SSL.

I am using ASIO protocol and in Audio Device Setup, I get the appropriate options for "in" (Presonus 1, 3, 5 and 7) but on the out side, my only options are Presonus 1, 3, and 5. So I set them up in that order.

However, when I try to record, I get an error message "No valid output for track selected" (paraphrased). I can see that it is a problem because there are really no outs to Presonus 1,3,5. The Firestudio has a "main out" but not individual outs. It seems like SSL should be able to send the out signal to the Firestudio main outs, but that doesn't show as an option. Also, I don't get the option to default the out to the laptop's internal sound card (SigmaTel) in the ASIO protocol.

So, it looks like all the inputs are working fine, it is just an output problem and SSL does not recognize "Presonus 1" as a valid output....but I don't get to choose another option. Any thoughts on how to handle this.

As always, thanks for your support and insight.

Steve
    Forgive my ignorance, since I'm not using a FW interface... but shouldn't all available input and output devices be assigned automatically in SAW when using the ASIO driver? The RME PCI device I use does this and I only have to manually choose the specific order I want them and/or other devices, if available to me.

Thanks for your response. Yes Saw picks the outputs (in this case ASIO Firestudio mobile 1,3 and 5). I can choose wear I put them (Wave Out 1,2 or 3). But the Presonus itself does not have individual outs, only two Main Outs.

Turns out that even though I get that error message "No active track is assigned to a valid output!" I can still record if I click OK. So it actually does not hamper recording and the audio actually appears at the main outs. So I don't know what that message is all about...it doesn't seem to hamper recording.

Thanks for the input!

If you only have two ins and two outs, set the other device assignments to Not Assigned... and then make sure your session only assigns to out device 1 (1 and 2).

Bob L

Bob,

I set Wave Decivice Out 1 to ASIO FireStudio Mobile DAW 1 and put all the other outs to "not assigned". I still get the error message "no active track assigned to a valid output". I have actually tried numerous combinations.

Although I initiailly said I can record, I didn't do a long enough trial. So, if I record, it runs for about 10 seconds then stops and pops up that error.

Hopefully, you can guide me through this because I wanted to use it in a mobile situation tomorrow. (That's why I just got back to it today...getting ready for tomorrow).

Thanks!

I'm sorry, but I do not have a Firestudio to test... I am not sure what the driver settings look like... in general, you should be able to pick the device 1 as the two outputs that match what the hardware has and also set the ins the same and if you place a track on the MT assigned to that device out 1, all should be happy.

The only other thing could be the samplerate or bit resolution settings... try 44.1k and 16 bits... all drivers seem to have that... if that works without the error, then try some of the other options to see if there are any clues.

Bob L

How many ins and outs the Firestudio mobile has? I have Firestudio 26/26 and have not any problems with SS in XP... maybe I can help with the tweaking of the drivers application - in 26/26 it is called Universal Control