Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How is everyone doing in SAW World?

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanT View Post
    I've spent most my the time recently rehearsing with a band but here is some stuff I've done myself, rather self indulgent but it is done completely 'in the box' with Saw Studio.
    http://www.jonathantrotter.co.uk/
    I like your music, nice and bluesy

OK... I'm more of a VO production guy, but what the hell...

http://www.labrecquecreativesound.com/SAW_Stuff/Wedding%20Song%20Draft%201.mp3

I dragged my SAW remote rig out to a friend's wedding a few weeks back. I was enlisted by a mutual friend of the bride (Tanya on vocals) to play keyboard (I'm a guitarist) along with a friend on violin (Beth) and a cousin-of-the-bride on a second violin (can't remember his name). Much to my surprise, I came up with a (admittedly simple) piano part, while Tanya learned some Spanish and Beth figured out the violin. We weren't even sure cousin-guy, who came in from out-of-town, was going to show. But he did the day of, and he learned the part during the rehearsal that afternoon. I and the ladies had practiced together once a week or so before.

I actually used SAW in live mode to mix us on the P.A. for the ceremony music before and after (acting as a VST host for my piano sample player and recording everything, too) as well as to mix the bride/groom/officiant wireless lavs during the ceremony itself.

Anyway, it was pretty hairy getting it all set up and going in time. Never did get a chance to change into my nice clothes, let alone get a pair of audience mics up. Oh, well.

The fiddles are a little pitchy, and we kind of lost our way in the middle somewhere (not that the audience would notice), but with a little editing (okay, a lot of editing) my piano performance is mistake-free and we actually sort of end it reasonably. In real life, uncertain of when we were going to end (the wedding party took way too long to saunter in and assemble up front), we sort of mutually ground to a halt after the second of what was supposed to be three final chords. D'oh! But with a little copy/paste action, and special thanks to Melodyne for allowing me to add a high note in the (newly created) final piano chord, it ain't half bad.

Not studio quality by any stretch (monitor bleed, etc.), but it's cool for us to have the memento.

The wedding party took so long to walk in and assemble at the front that we just kept vamping and Tanya kept ad libbing stuff. I actually cut out about half of that madness.

Anyway, thanks for your indulgence...
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 04-16-2012 at 10:22 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Oh -- and one for the VO guys among us (I did everything on this one -- wrote it, voiced it, produced it. Ouch. Just hurt my arm patting myself on the back). Actually, the copy is a little weak because the client tweaked my original script. Farging bastage. What can you do when they're writing the checks?

It was supposed to be the first in a series. We shall see...

Terry and Zeke's radio :30
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    Dude that freaking Rocks...I Love it!
    Thanks, much appreciated. I'm not a pro by any means, played this with 3 professional music teachers. Quite an interesting project it was for me.
    --
    El cheapo SAC host V1.0: Lenovo - C2D E6550 - 2GB RAM - RME Digiface
    El cheapo SAC host V2.0: Fujitsu - i3-6300 - 8GB RAM - RME Digiface USB - (3) ADA8200 - 17" TFT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    OK... I'm more of a VO production guy, but what the hell...

http://www.labrecquecreativesound.co...0Draft%201.mp3

I dragged my SAW remote rig out to a friend's wedding a few weeks back. I was enlisted by a mutual friend of the bride (Tanya on vocals) to play keyboard (I'm a guitarist) along with a friend on violin (Beth) and a cousin-of-the-bride on a second violin (can't remember his name). Much to my surprise, I came up with a (admittedly simple) piano part, while Tanya learned some Spanish and Beth figured out the violin. We weren't even sure cousin-guy, who came in from out-of-town, was going to show. But he did the day of, and he learned the part during the rehearsal that afternoon. I and the ladies had practiced together once a week or so before.

I actually used SAW in live mode to mix us on the P.A. for the ceremony music before and after (acting as a VST host for my piano sample player and recording everything, too) as well as to mix the bride/groom/officiant wireless lavs during the ceremony itself.

Anyway, it was pretty hairy getting it all set up and going in time. Never did get a chance to change into my nice clothes, let alone get a pair of audience mics up. Oh, well.

The fiddles are a little pitchy, and we kind of lost our way in the middle somewhere (not that the audience would notice), but with a little editing (okay, a lot of editing) my piano performance is mistake-free and we actually sort of end it reasonably. In real life, uncertain of when we were going to end (the wedding party took way too long to saunter in and assemble up front), we sort of mutually ground to a halt after the second of what was supposed to be three final chords. D'oh! But with a little copy/paste action, and special thanks to Melodyne for allowing me to add a high note in the (newly created) final piano chord, it ain't half bad.

Not studio quality by any stretch (monitor bleed, etc.), but it's cool for us to have the memento.

The wedding party took so long to walk in and assemble at the front that we just kept vamping and Tanya kept ad libbing stuff. I actually cut out about half of that madness.

Anyway, thanks for your indulgence...
    Very well done Dave must have been a good time too.

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    Very well done Dave must have been a good time too.
    Thanks, Micro. The work-to-fun ratio was a little high (I felt more like a roadie than a wedding guest, LOL), but I'm glad we did it.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Here's a link that leads to 8 videos on youtube of one of my bands. We are without a doubt the best south american band in Casper Wyoming that is composed, with one exception, of geriatric anglos. If you have a fast enough connection, make sure & watch it at 1080p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bnlab2XZI8

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hauck View Post
    Here's a link that leads to 8 videos on youtube of one of my bands. We are without a doubt the best south american band in Casper Wyoming that is composed, with one exception, of geriatric anglos. If you have a fast enough connection, make sure & watch it at 1080p.

Great stuff really like it and it sounds great. Just some dudes jamming it up for the listeners... it does not get better then that.

Love it!
    Becket, Massachusetts

SalsaGrass..... Great name!!