Close

Default So Way OT... Accordion tuning?

I figured one of you studio guys might know someone who tunes and services Accordions. I have my Grandmother's instrument and the last time I took it out it struck me that it just sounds bad. Out of tune, not well regulated, etc. I'm normally a DIY type of person (I learned how to tune pianos) but this is too sentimental to learn on.

I'm looking for someone who can tune and service the instrument, preferably close to North Carolina.

Thanks!
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Default Re: So Way OT... Accordion tuning?

I didn't know accordions were tuned.

(Sorry, but I was just anticipating a barrage of accordion jokes.)

How It's Made on Discovery Channel did a pretty cool segment on how they make accordians. The tuning process was a big part of it. IIRC, the tuning involved filing down the metal reeds to the right length. If they are sharp, though, I don't know how you'd add to the reed's length without replacing it.

Good luck. Even if it isn't enjoyable to play, it will be nice to have that memento.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

How It's Made on Discovery Channel did a pretty cool segment on how they make accordians. The tuning process was a big part of it. IIRC, the tuning involved filing down the metal reeds to the right length. If they are sharp, though, I don't know how you'd add to the reed's length without replacing it.

Good luck. Even if it isn't enjoyable to play, it will be nice to have that memento.
    I would think it would be about the same as changing the pitch of a harmonica reed. If it is flat, scrape a small amount from the flat side of the reed at the end to reduce the thickness. This reduces the mass of the reed and it will vibrate faster raising the pitch.

If the reed is sharp scrape a small amount from the flat side near where the reed attaches to the frame. This reduces the stiffness of the reed and it will vibrate at a lower pitch.

This is assuming the reeds are brass. Be very careful as it doesn't take much material removal the affect the pitch. I use this technique to tune my harmonica reeds when needed.

You can a number of youtube harmonica reed tuning videos here.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...45.1j10j2.13.0.

If you are really fearless here are some accordion tuning videos.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...41.827.7j2.9.0.