Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Horizontal zooming with ThinkPad x60

I've been struggling with this one for some time and haven't figured out a way to do what I want.

Anybody have any ideas on how to get the MT in SAW to horizontally zoom using this old ThinkPad x60?

I can vertically scroll the MT easy enough with the down/up arrows as I would with any standard keyboard and I fully expected the Left/Right arrows to do the trick with horizontal zooming, but no go.

Default Re: Horizontal zooming with ThinkPad x60

I don't have SAW but on any DAW I am familiar with, vertical zooming is a different animal compared to horizontal because you are limited by the track height boundries.

So first you must increase the track height, then you can increase/zoom in on the waveform height ... so two separate issues? I don't think the commands would be different for any particular Windows computer like a thinkpad.

Soundguy

I think he is talking about horizontal zooming, not vertical.
    On machines without numpad of the keyboard the only way is mouse scroll.... So, get a mouse :-)
    X60 is a good computer...

Quote Originally Posted by karagjoz View Post
    On machines without numpad of the keyboard the only way is mouse scroll.... So, get a mouse :-)
    X60 is a good computer...
    Yeah, I like the x60 a lot.

Now that I think about it some more, I think I can use the Fn key to get the numpad function and zoom horizontally that way.... But IIRC, it's also a PITA because it's so easy to forget you've turned it on and that leads to major head scratching. I guess I'll have to try and develop some kind of workflow using the Fn key... Maybe I'll get it down in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Yeah, I like the x60 a lot.

Now that I think about it some more, I think I can use the Fn key to get the numpad function and zoom horizontally that way.... But IIRC, it's also a PITA because it's so easy to forget you've turned it on and that leads to major head scratching. I guess I'll have to try and develop some kind of workflow using the Fn key... Maybe I'll get it down in a month.
    I was gonna suggest the Fn key approach if the computer has that PITA numpad ability (numbers and +/- keys), but you're onto that. Really, the best thing IMO is to use a mouse with a scroll wheel. When that came into being for zooming in SAW, it changed my life. Any chance you can add a mouse w/ scroll wheel to this bad boy?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I was gonna suggest the Fn key approach if the computer has that PITA numpad ability (numbers and +/- keys), but you're onto that. Really, the best thing IMO is to use a mouse with a scroll wheel. When that came into being for zooming in SAW, it changed my life. Any chance you can add a mouse w/ scroll wheel to this bad boy?
    Yeah, mouse with scroll wheel I use all the time on the desktop PC. Love it.

Tying a mouse to the x60 defeats part of the purpose for me.

In fact, I really like that little red button instead of the mouse pad on the typical laptop, but also find it extremely awkward when I try to use it for certain other things in combination with the modifier keys in SAW.

Oops. Boy, did I misread that one.

Soundguy

Keep the X60.
    On all new laptops you will be forced to work in Win7. Believe me, it is pain in the ..... with SawStudio.
    I demonstrated to my students SS as the most flexible and fast audio software, but they had many problems with the demo and Win7 - the audio buffers, the graphics, so they went to another programs - PT and Cubase.
    And today is very hard to find a new laptop with drivers for XP.

Keep the X60.
    On all new laptops you will be forced to work in Win7. Believe me, it is pain in the ..... with SawStudio.
    I demonstrated to my students SS as the most flexible and fast audio software, but they had many problems with the demo and Win7 - the audio buffers, the graphics, so they went to another programs - PT and Cubase.
    And today is very hard to find a new laptop with drivers for XP.
    Win 7 Home Premium here. With the OS tweaks and SS under XP compatibility mode, my DAW is very solid. This is a desktop not a laptop, though.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I don't have SAW but on any DAW I am familiar with, vertical zooming is a different animal compared to horizontal because you are limited by the track height boundries.

So first you must increase the track height, then you can increase/zoom in on the waveform height ... so two separate issues? I don't think the commands would be different for any particular Windows computer like a thinkpad.

Soundguy
    You're right... two separate issues... one I have covered with regular key and mouse moves. The horizontal zoom is the other issue, which is not so easy and not doable at all with the l/r arrow keys, unfortunately.