Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Horizontal zooming with ThinkPad x60

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Maybe a simple solution would be to put a board on top of the stool (beneath the laptop) that's wide enough to accommodate a mouse?

Or just get one of these...

Aha! Maybe....

I've already got a board on there.... maybe a little larger one.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Aha! Maybe....

I've already got a board on there.... maybe a little larger one.
    Oh, yes. A 'mouse-ready' board is key. Like in the middle '80's, when all the stereo receivers were touted as being 'digital-ready' for your CD player even though they had plain ol' analog RCA ins. The brochures wouldn't being trying to manipulate my thinking, would they? Point is... be sure you use a mouse-ready board. Nothing else will do.

Sorry. It's almost 6 and I'm still at the office. The mind loses it's robustness.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

You don't really need a pad for the mouse if it is optical - in a pinch, I've used my thigh as a mouse pad for a laser mouse. Also, the mouse itself does not need to be bulky: http://www.laptoptoys.net/laptop_pc_mouse.html

- John

Quote Originally Posted by jcgriggs View Post
    You don't really need a pad for the mouse if it is optical - in a pinch, I've used my thigh as a mouse pad for a laser mouse. Also, the mouse itself does not need to be bulky: http://www.laptoptoys.net/laptop_pc_mouse.html

- John
    I actually prefer a "laptop mouse" for general desktop use. Smaller, easier to manipulate...
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I actually prefer a "laptop mouse" for general desktop use. Smaller, easier to manipulate...
    I have one..... it makes my hand cramp for something as extensive as editing... ouch!

- John
    Same problem with using a leg for a pad, I'm afraid. Gets really difficult for long sessions of editing. A wireless would be slightly better (I've done that before at the desktop).

A wireless keypad might be a good solution to the horizontal zooming issue, since I could then use the numbers or +/- on the keypad instead of using the Fn modifier key on the main keyboard. I wouldn't have to worry much about the usb causing glitches in SAW, since I'd be using it for editing... not realtime recording chores. I might get one and try it..... never used one before.

OK - How about something like this: http://www.gyration.com/index.php/us...air-mouse.html It has sensors that let it work in mid air - no need for a pad (or body part 8^) - and it's wireless.

- John

OK - How about something like this: http://www.gyration.com/index.php/us...air-mouse.html It has sensors that let it work in mid air - no need for a pad (or body part 8^) - and it's wireless.

- John
    That's fine if I want a mouse, but I don't want to muck around with locating the mouse pointer and pressing the +Zm/-Zm buttons when I want to zoom horizontally. This is the whole point of my original post, really.

What makes the most sense is to use the L/R arrow buttons on the existing keyboard..... Why doesn't that work??

I suppose it's because THAT is what makes sense.

I have one..... it makes my hand cramp for something as extensive as editing... ouch!
    Well that must be due to your very large hands. And you know what they say...

Congratulations. And thanks for revealing my 'modest endowment'.
    Becket, Massachusetts

That's fine if I want a mouse, but I don't want to muck around with locating the mouse pointer and pressing the +Zm/-Zm buttons when I want to zoom horizontally. This is the whole point of my original post, really.

What makes the most sense is to use the L/R arrow buttons on the existing keyboard..... Why doesn't that work??

I suppose it's because THAT is what makes sense.
    Dan -- look again. Two words: mouse wheel.

Superior to any kind of keyboard zooming. Tell me you're aware of mouse wheel zooming. There is nothing even close to being as good.
    Becket, Massachusetts