Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT: corrupt file header?

I apparently ended an ISDN VO session and left the studio on Friday (had to drive the talent home) without stopping the backup recording in SAW! What's up with that?

So, this morning, SAW has crashed, and I have three 11-and-a-half-gig (three tracks) WAV files in the session folder. Thank God it stopped at all. I guess it hit the max length allowed for a 24-bit WAV file. Problem is that they're corrupted, now. They're no longer showing up on the MT in that tracking session. When I try to import them from a Library View window, I get a "Region has zero length" prompt. I can open them in the SF view, but the waveforms are all weird, and I can't seem to do anything with them there. They open in Sound Forge with no waveform display.

I'm guessing a corrupt header. I really just need to access the first thirty minutes of each file. Any ideas on how to proceed would be most welcome.

Dang. Looks like the HDD chugged away for, like, 23 hours.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Lightbulb Re: OT: corrupt file header?

Dave, since you need only the first 30 minutes of each file, why not edit each one in SF View? Maybe...just maybe...you'll wind up with usable 30-minute files.

If it turns out that you still need to fix corrupt file headers, you shouldn't be any worse off than before...or so I would think....

HTH...góòd luck!
    Míke È. Déè

Default Re: OT: corrupt file header?

Hi Dave,

I don't remember where it is specifically, but there is a fix header menu item on one of the menu lists (File, Edit, ... ) that was added to the last version of SAW studio.

Its supposed help repair things like this.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee View Post
    Dave, since you need only the first 30 minutes of each file, why not edit each one in SF View? Maybe...just maybe...you'll wind up with usable 30-minute files.

If it turns out that you still need to fix corrupt file headers, you shouldn't be any worse off than before...or so I would think....

HTH...góòd luck!
    Can't seem to do anything in SF view, Mike. It's more or less unresponsive.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Hi Dave,

I don't remember where it is specifically, but there is a fix header menu item on one of the menu lists (File, Edit, ... ) that was added to the last version of SAW studio.

Its supposed help repair things like this.
    That did it! Thanks, Phil. I appreciate it. I forgot about the new header fixer thingy. Just what I needed!

Oh, and... thanks Bob!
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Stashu View Post
    Dave,

Latest Saw manual. P 227. File Menu. Open sound file and fix header is an option. i used it on an old .edl and it saved the day.
    That's what I did, Stash. Solved my problem, too. Yay! Thanks.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    That's what I did, Stash. Solved my problem, too. Yay! Thanks.
    So, what did you see in SF view that needed to be fixed and how did you fix it?
    Something like this happened to me once a long while back and I had no clue how to fix it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    So, what did you see in SF view that needed to be fixed and how did you fix it?
    Something like this happened to me once a long while back and I had no clue how to fix it at the time.
    Well, at first I thought the waveform display was all weird, but now I think it might've just been the nature of that track that made it look weird (my talkback mic popping in a few times over many hours). However, I could do nothing with what was in the SF View window. Couldn't mark an area. Could play anything back. And the files would not import to the MT from the library view. ('zero file length')

I simply used the 'open sound file and fix file header' thing under the File menu on each file and it all worked after that.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Well, at first I thought the waveform display was all weird, but now I think it might've just been the nature of that track that made it look weird (my talkback mic popping in a few times over many hours). However, I could do nothing with what was in the SF View window. Couldn't mark an area. Could play anything back. And the files would not import to the MT from the library view. ('zero file length')

I simply used the 'open sound file and fix file header' thing under the File menu on each file and it all worked after that.
    Well, okay..... I misunderstood how you got to the fix.... But at any rate, what did you see or have to do to make the fix happen once you opened the soundfile and chose "fix file header".... Nothing? It just fixed itself by virtue of choosing that option?

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Well, okay..... I misunderstood how you got to the fix.... But at any rate, what did you see or have to do to make the fix happen once you opened the soundfile and chose "fix file header".... Nothing? It just fixed itself by virtue of choosing that option?
    When you choose the option, it opens a dialog with which you choose the file to be header-fixed. That's about it. It fixed the header and generated a proper WPD file. I did that three times (1x for each file). Brilliant!

It doesn't look at what's in the SF view. It makes you pick the file you want fixed.
    Becket, Massachusetts