Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hardware Link to Mixers

Bob,

Can you explain how to set up the system such that hitting SELECT on a surface (such as the motormixes) does NOT move the start channel in mixer windows.

I have all of the Hardware Link options turned off. I have the Z Mixer locked. If I hit a select button on the motormix, it chases the Z mixer to that channel. I am trying to keep the Z mixer locked on my groups and outputs.

I have also turned off the link Z mixer to Hot Channel so that it doesn't chase that automatically. It all works fine if I move around by mouse, just not control surface.

Default Re: Hardware Link to Mixers

Joe... just checked here and the Z-Mixer is not handling the links correctly in the non-chase Hot Chan mode.

All that should be necessary is to turn OFF the Z-Mixer chase Hot Chan option... the F-Mixer appears to be doing it correctly... with that option OFF for the F-Mixer it can stay in position regardless of what chan Select switch I hit on my controller.

I am looking into the code now to compare what is different between the F-Mixer and Z-Mixer chase code.

Bob L

On closer look... its actually working correctly... here is what is happening...

Normally, whenever any mixer window is the active window, all of the link disables and locks are overridden so you can still click in a locked window and jump it to where you want... the lock or the hot chan link disable then should keep it in position as you jump around elsewhere.

What is happening for the midi controller is it is currently operating on the current active window... so with the Z-Mixer set to disable hot chan chase, if the Z-Mixer was clicked in and made active, then when you use the Select switches on the controller, it is acting on the current active window and in this case overriding the locks... if the F-Mixer was active, then the controller Select would not affect the Z-Mixer.

So, the code is working as programmed... but now the question remains, should this be altered and should the midi controller not be tied to the current active window...

I have to explore this and see whether that behavior breaks other useful things or not.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    So, the code is working as programmed... but now the question remains, should this be altered and should the midi controller not be tied to the current active window...

If you're looking for input, my thought is that this should be changed and the "active window" have no bearing on the controller. This isn't necessarily intuitive IMHO. It's the kind of thing that could confound a person until it was actively explained to them.
    Last edited by dasbin; 08-11-2012 at 10:23 PM.

I think turning off the Hardware Link to the windows is a pretty clear indication that the user does NOT want the window to react to the controller. Having the window in Lock mode, REALLY says they don't want it messed with.

The whole idea is to be able to create a stable MASTER section that doesn't change and you can always grab.

I agree... I have modified the code and it now works this way.

Bob L

Hate to bring this back, but just ran across this last weekend again and it is still an issue.

Working on BrianR's system doing monitors (using his remote rig for the monitor remote). Version 3.0 software all around. Using a single MotorMix for a fader pack. All Hardware link options turned off.

Any time I tried to bank on the controller, it would move my F mixer (which was probably the "active window"). Even if I had it in lock mode (which causes other issues when bouncing to other mixers with differing channel orders) it would still move it.

Thought this was "fixed".

In case it's not clear - to reproduce:

Configure and attach a remote session using V3.0 software

Attach a MotorMix (although I would assume other controllers would do the same)

Ensure all Link Hardware options are turned OFF

Open the F mixer, and scroll far left so you are looking at the first channel.

Press the scroll right button on the motormix (or other control surface) and watch the F mixer start scrolling right.

Well... the hardware links currently control whether the controller chases what is happening onscreen... meaning it should chase or not what you do in the virtual console.

If you move around on the controller, it currently always moves the hot chan on the screen... if the view is locked it should not scroll the screen, although the hot chan will still move around.

Bob L

That's the behaviour I see. Personally I'd love an option to lock the mixers in the menu, that saves with the session and mix template, but providing I lock the z and f mixer with shift and right click, the z mixer sticks to the hardware as I want.