Close

Default SS won't open wav file

I recorded a 44-24 stereo test file on an M-Audio MicroTrack II. It's a large file - 1.66 GB - but SS shows it as less than 1 second. WimAmp opens and plays it just fine, although I confess I have not listened to the entire 113 minutes. I'm trying to do this on an old XP SP3 laptop that I'm going to take on a cathedral singing trip to the UK. The idea is to back up the recorder files on the laptop harddrive and a USB drive.

SS on the laptop will open other, shorter 44-24 stereo files. I can't find the old thread on maximum file size and I've searched the help file every way I can think of.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Default Re: SS won't open wav file

I just tried a 44.1k 24 bit stereo file here which is two hours long... almost 2 gigs... seemed to work fine... I actually think the roll-over length is 4 gigs... so I am thinking this could go to a 4 hour file before you get into trouble... which would be an 8 hour mono recording at these settings.

What did you record it with? I'm not sure what might be causing the compatibility issue.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    I recorded a 44-24 stereo test file on an M-Audio MicroTrack II. It's a large file - 1.66 GB - but SS shows it as less than 1 second. WimAmp opens and plays it just fine, although I confess I have not listened to the entire 113 minutes. I'm trying to do this on an old XP SP3 laptop that I'm going to take on a cathedral singing trip to the UK. The idea is to back up the recorder files on the laptop harddrive and a USB drive.

SS on the laptop will open other, shorter 44-24 stereo files. I can't find the old thread on maximum file size and I've searched the help file every way I can think of.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    I also (just today) backed up more than one 90-minute session that had multiple files well over 1.5GB and played easily in SAW. They were, in fact, recorded in SAW on an XP/SP3 machine.

The only time I've run into this problem with playback of a track over 1.5GB was one that had been recorded in Sonar. The only way I could recover it was to open it back up in the Sonar session and cut it into two new files and export them separately. Maybe something like that would work for you, if you can re-open and edit them in the M-Audio....

The file was recorded on an M-Audio MicroTrack II compact flash recorder. It has a 4 GB card in it. I don't think there are any edit functions on the recorder. I opened it in CoolEdit. (I know, but it still works!) I could not play it, but I was able to select and save chunks of it. I was also able to save the whole file as a new name. These chunks, and even the whole new file, will play in SS.

I see no change in any file parameters. The original and resaved files show up as 44k 24bit packed stereo files.

The MicroTrack II manual refers in a few places to broadcast wave files. Is this a different enough format that it could cause these issues?

Thanks.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Yes... the header is different... I was going to suggest you try to open it and resave it in an audio converter utility... Cool Edit works fine for that.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Yes... the header is different... I was going to suggest you try to open it and resave it in an audio converter utility... Cool Edit works fine for that.

Bob L
    I wonder why SS will open shorter 44-24 stereo wavs recorded on the same device? Does broadcst wav do something different in the header after a certain length? The recorder has only two choices - wav or mp3. No choice between broadcast, plain, ocean, or lake.

Thanks.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Ian,

If I have a problem opening a file in SAW, I usually open it in Sound Forge and save it to my SAW folder and the re-write usually does the trick.

G'Luck!
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio