Close

1. Default PCMCIA slot on a Compaq 6910p Laptop

I am hoping I can find some help on this. Its not really a SAC/SAW questions its more a WIn7/Audio Interface question.

I have an older laptop that I was running XP on. I use it for live sound/recording with SAC/SAW. I wanted to try and get it to Win7 so I could try running ProTools 10 in addition to the current software. So I tried an install of Win7 64. Win7 installed fine and all appeared to be running fine (all devices found drivers etc).

For my audio interface I use an RME Hammerfall PCMCIA cardbus witha Digiface. On XP I could run 52 mono audio channels into the PCMCIA card and all worked well. When I went to Win7 64, once I exceed 41 mono channels the audio becomes distorted. PT doesnt allow you to deactivate audio devices in/out I can't stop the distorted audio in there. If I run SAW/SAC/Reaper I can have 26 in active and 14 outs, once I choose 16 outs I get distorted audio. Being all worked well in XP I am guessing either the drivers for the Ricoh Card or into the PCI bus are causing a bottleneck.

The PCMCIA adapter shows as Ricoh R/RL/5C476(II) in device manager

I would sure like to find a way to get my hardware to play well on Win7.

Any ideas?

Dave
    SAC and SAWLite
    Windows 7 on HP Elitebook 8460p laptop, RME Digiface, Presonus Digimax FS Preamps

Default Re: PCMCIA slot on a Compaq 6910p Laptop

hi there.
    you shoul try the i5 with some faster ram's.that's a preaty old config for win7 and i asure you that you've pushed it to it's max.my dual core inspiron dell 1705 was not ment for win7 but i was a smartass and a instaled it and also regreted.you need at least 2gigs of faster ddr2 ram and 3ghz proc to pull 40 channels of.Also,laptops were not made for this kind of torture...get a desktop or a rack PC and ease yor problems.

3. Default Re: PCMCIA slot on a Compaq 6910p Laptop

There's also an RME forum you could try asking for help on as the problem doesn't seem to be SAW or PT related.

4. Default Re: PCMCIA slot on a Compaq 6910p Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by 905shmick View Post
    There's also an RME forum you could try asking for help on as the problem doesn't seem to be SAW or PT related.
    I have posts in several forums as well as some others. Since it really a windows 7 issue that I doubt I will find a solution to I figured there was no harm in casting a wide net. I have had good success in the past with the knowledge base of the brain trust on the SAC forum, so I included my question here.

Thanks.

Dave
    SAC and SAWLite
    Windows 7 on HP Elitebook 8460p laptop, RME Digiface, Presonus Digimax FS Preamps

5. Default Re: PCMCIA slot on a Compaq 6910p Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by operationwhat View Post
    hi there.
    you shoul try the i5 with some faster ram's.that's a preaty old config for win7 and i asure you that you've pushed it to it's max.my dual core inspiron dell 1705 was not ment for win7 but i was a smartass and a instaled it and also regreted.you need at least 2gigs of faster ddr2 ram and 3ghz proc to pull 40 channels of.Also,laptops were not made for this kind of torture...get a desktop or a rack PC and ease yor problems.
    I hear ya - but the laptop has enough of power to handle 64/1 buffers on XP - 24 live in channels, 6 monitors mixes, SAW running backing tracks, and Reaper recording the entire performance. Total CPU usage based on the Windows resource manager hovers at 45%.

But I have been thinking of a used HP Elitebook 8460p - if I go there I have to change my RME cardbus to an express card. So thats an added cost, as well as I really like the form factor on the old cardbus from RME that uses the locking propiatary cable.

Dave
    SAC and SAWLite

Default Re: PCMCIA slot on a Compaq 6910p Laptop

I have an older dell m6400 that works well for a 24 channel portable rig. It has the old cardbus slot.
    Harley Morgan

SAC Host: Intel H55 with I3-560, 320 gb hd, RME RayDat, 4x Behringer ADA8k

SAC: 1 x 64, 32channels, eq, dyn on all channels, 10 monitor mixes. 30%

System: Meyer UPA-1C (tops) SW118IV(subs) Yamaha CM15V (monitors)
    http://www.sixstringsclub.com