Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sync via WC , not adat

In the example, for the sake of typing out alot, I didnt show all the other ada8k units. I have a 72 channel rig with 3 digi9652 cards. I currently have everything else syncing off adat. can I just run a single coax from the RME#1 card WC-out to the yammy, 'T' off and then to the ada8k WC-IN with a 75 ohm terminator and leave everything else adat-sync? Is it OK to mix them that way or do I need to go full bore and WC everything?

Thanks Gang-

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    I am assuming you are trying to clock the DME via ADAT Optical Input?

I have used a lot of Yamaha gear over the years. Almost all of them do a terrible job of locking to a wordclock via an ADAT input. Don't know why, they just do. .........

Give some other form of clocking the yamaha a shot, I suspect it will suddenly all start working.
    Thanks much.

3. Default Re: Sync via WC , not adat

Quote Originally Posted by Eric White View Post
    In the example, for the sake of typing out alot, I didnt show all the other ada8k units. I have a 72 channel rig with 3 digi9652 cards. I currently have everything else syncing off adat. can I just run a single coax from the RME#1 card WC-out to the yammy, 'T' off and then to the ada8k WC-IN with a 75 ohm terminator and leave everything else adat-sync? Is it OK to mix them that way or do I need to go full bore and WC everything?

Thanks Gang-

Eric
    Assuming you've got all 3 cards sync'd already and card #1 is the master, then yes, you can use the coax out on card #1 and distribute it to the yamaha and then the ada8k.

FYI - You're already using 2 forms of word clock as it stands. 1) s/pdif between the RME cards and 2) ADAT between the cards and and the ADA8K units.

Didn't think of it that way so yes I am. The cards are s/pdif-ed all together. Glad to hear this. I will keep the rest of the system on adat sync and clock the other stuff via WC.

You've been a big help. Thanks

-Eric

5. Default Re: Sync via WC , not adat

FYI, looks like the yamaha is already terminated for word clock, so your coax path would be:

RME > ADA8K w/ T-connector > directly into the yamaha.

Personally what I would do is just run either an SPDIF cable to the Yamaha or a wordclock out from the RME cards to the Yamaha. The let the ADA8Ks that are hooked up to the Yamaha, get their clock from the ADAT Output on the Yamaha. It's rare that I had an issue with the Yamaha outputs not delivering a wordclock to other devices, it's only the Yamaha devices locking to an ADAT Input that I often ran into issues with.

My usual solution was to just make the Yamaha the wordclock master or to use an external clock. But I was always using the Yamaha as the mixing console. So that made sense. Here I would keep the RME as the master clock, get the Yamaha to sync to it and the ADA8ks sync to either the Yamaha or the RME directly depending on what their ADAT input is receiving it's signal from.

Do you have analog outputs on your DME? You could just use those as well and forget about using the ADA8K outputs. Although I guess you still need to get a wordclock input to them, if you're using them as inputs into the RME sound card as well.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/