Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Hyperthreading - can it cause glitching?

I am still trying to trace the source of my random "glitching". I have found a handful of threads which claimed that use of Hyperthreading at processor speeds of under 3.4 gig are detramental to the performance of a SAWStudio system. I am running a P4 3.4 in the motherboard described below. I have highlighted the portion pertaining to hyperthreading. The glitches are far too nurmerous to tolerate and I am pulling my hair out now. I noticed Canipus authored some comments on this topic and I wonder if anyone has any thoughts as to whether disabling Hyperthreading in my bios may cause these glitches to go away? Also... from what I read.. it seems as though the consensus is that regardless of whether this is the cause of my glitching problem I should achieve better performance by disabling the hyperthreading feature in my Bios.. do I understand this correctly?
    Below is the description of my motherboard.

The Intel® Desktop Board D925XECV2 harnesses the advanced computing power of the Intel® Pentium® 4 processor with Hyper-Threading Technology1, including Extreme Edition, and is optimized to deliver new levels of performance for power-users and high-end gamers.

Based on the Intel® 925XE Express chipset featuring Intel's advanced performance architecture, the Desktop

Board D925XECV2 with Intel® Matrix Storage Technology brings new levels of performance to the desktop by combining support for an 1066 MHz system bus, dual-channel DDR2 533 memory, PCI Express* x16 graphics, and native SATA150 RAID. Premium features such as Gigabit LAN, 1394a ports, and Intel® High Definition Audio (enabling 7.1 surround sound) further enhance this high-performance product.

1Hyper-Threading Technology requires a computer system with an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor supporting HT Technology and an HT Technology enabled chipset, BIOS and operating system. Performance will vary depending on the specific hardware and software you use. See http://www.intel.com/info/hyperthreading/ for more information including details on which processors support HT Technology.

Default Re: Hyperthreading - can it cause glitching?

Yep. Kill hyperthreading. Cant garauntee what performance gains there will be, BUT it will certainly narrow down the problems.
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

I would imagine I should also disable "Intel® High Definition Audio (enabling 7.1 surround sound)" onboard sound. I was hoping to avoid this thinking the surround sound might come in handy at some point but I wonder if this onboard sound is fighting with my LynxTWO card???

Hi BillyK - I notice the board you have uses SATA raid drives - do you have any IDE's to try out?
    I've been less than impressed with the throughput of my SATA drive (less than half speed of IDE when copying files from one location to another).

Good luck - it's painful when you get a good setup, thinking you'll have no more problems, and end up with the same or more (Cubase SX in mind here) - yours should be a killer with SAW.

omaru
    Denis Hillman

Be careful... once Windows has been installed with HyperThreading active on the motherboard, it installs totally different libraries and HAL layers for dual processors... disabling HyperThreading at the motherboard would require a complete re-install of Windows.

Follow my guidelines in the XP tweaks posted here and on the Misc Downloads section of my website to disable HyperThreading using the /ONECPU option in the Boot.ini file.

Bob L

There's definitively something wrong with your set-up, SATA does not go at half the PATA speed

Quote Originally Posted by omaru
    I've been less than impressed with the throughput of my SATA drive (less than half speed of IDE when copying files from one location to another).
    omaru
    Figuring out how the House M.D. character was developed.
    Macarena Ain't Noise Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L
    Be careful... once Windows has been installed with HyperThreading active on the motherboard, it installs totally different libraries and HAL layers for dual processors... disabling HyperThreading at the motherboard would require a complete re-install of Windows.

Follow my guidelines in the XP tweaks posted here and on the Misc Downloads section of my website to disable HyperThreading using the /ONECPU option in the Boot.ini file.

Bob L

I have already done all the XP "tweaks" that are suggested here. I am a bit naive regarding this hyperthreading topic. My motherboard only has one processor (it doen not even have a 2nd slot for another chip) but does support hyperthreading. Bob... you have now scared me off of disabling the hyperthreading for the moment. Since mine is a single processor system that supports hyperthreading does that mean that windows still intsalled differently? I am talking above my head here... so I await further direction before screwing things up. I will look for your documentation on "Misc Downloads section of my website to disable HyperThreading using the /ONECPU option in the Boot.ini file", but since I only have one processor I would think it should have installed that way already?
    Bill

The idea of HyperThreading was to appear as a dual processor system... that's also why it seems ridiculous since its only one trying to look like two... but Windows actually treats it as two.

Turn it OFF!!!!!

Bob L

9. Default Re: Hyperthreading - can it cause glitching?

Billy,

For a 'simple' test to 'possibly' verify your HT issues...

In SAW:
    Options > Force Single CPU

If this helps, let us know, if not, ditto.
    Jon Ketcham
    Sound Suite
    Holly Springs, NC, USA

Billy,

FWIW, I just turned hyperthreading off in the BIOS and haven't had a problem (that I know of) related to having done so. Might be worth it to at least try it out.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts