Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Motherboard - horizontal or vertical move?

Im looking to replace my Gigabyte EP45 flavor board with something else. Not because Ive had any issues with it, Its an awesome board... just it wont play well with me wanting 3 Digi9652 cards to work at 64*1 performance. 2 cards work great...not 3.

Question for all that know..

I currently have an E8400 processor. Should I stay with it and purchase/test other motherboards in this socket 775 family or look at an i5 (or similar) motherboard and processor. I won't blame anyone here if it doesnt work.. I just need to know If staying with older hardware is better than newer for this. Im having IRQ issues and need 3 digi cards in my rig for upcoming work. ALso .. is built in video preferred over pcie-x16 slot video?

Thanks gang.. Your a great resource.
    -Eric

2. Default Re: Motherboard - horizontal or vertical move?

Are there any IRQ conflicts with the cards when you attempt 3 card?
    Did you try different settings in SAC, such as Realtime Priority, Force Single CPU, etc., with the three cards?
    Did you try 2x64 or even 2x32?

Personally I would exhaust all of these avenues and more before introducing a new motherboard.

Default Re: Motherboard - horizontal or vertical move?

Quote Originally Posted by airickess View Post
    Are there any IRQ conflicts with the cards when you attempt 3 card?
    Did you try different settings in SAC, such as Realtime Priority, Force Single CPU, etc., with the three cards?
    Did you try 2x64 or even 2x32?

Personally I would exhaust all of these avenues and more before introducing a new motherboard.

Oh yea, been there.. done that. months of poking and testing.. http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15844
    Card #1 will assign to its own IRQ, card #2 will share one with some USB stuff and the 3rd card ..well.. I cant make it budge to an IRQ that it will work on. The Digi9652 cards wont go below 64. I guess I could look at purchasing raydat cards, but that is quite an expense right now. I need to be at a minimum of 64 channels of input for my rig. Thats why the 3rd card is so important. I can get away with 128 performance for theatre, but live band use needs to be 64 or less...

Thanks -Eric

4. Default Re: Motherboard - horizontal or vertical move?

I know this may sound like a large expense as well, but I have had the full 72 ch running with motu 424 at 2x64 8 monitor mixers and 10 vts at 45% cpu on an I3-2125

5. Default Re: Motherboard - horizontal or vertical move?

the motu is the trick. I've actually had 4 of 'em running.

Quote Originally Posted by Sound Machine Inc View Post
    I know this may sound like a large expense as well, but I have had the full 72 ch running with motu 424 at 2x64 8 monitor mixers and 10 vts at 45% cpu on an I3-2125
    Ive worked with firewire devices before in industrial machine vision applications and there is just something a little fearful that is tugging me away from firewire for live audio. Maybe its unfounded, but its one of those things where you get burned once and you shy away after that. THanks for the info -it helps.

7. Default Re: Motherboard - horizontal or vertical move?

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
    the motu is the trick. I've actually had 4 of 'em running.
    best part is with adat you can pickup any of the older expansion chassis on ebay for a LOT less than a new unit.. you COULD have 72 in and out for price of 1 raydat

Quote Originally Posted by Eric White View Post
    Ive worked with firewire devices before in industrial machine vision applications and there is just something a little fearful that is tugging me away from firewire for live audio. Maybe its unfounded, but its one of those things where you get burned once and you shy away after that. THanks for the info -it helps.
    Of course the motu pci interfaces connecting to the 424 card do not use firewire, but they do use the same connector.

9. Default Re: Motherboard - horizontal or vertical move?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattseymour View Post
    Of course the motu pci interfaces connecting to the 424 card do not use firewire, but they do use the same connector.
    silicon adhesive fixed ALL my issues for them.. I use neutrik firewire jacks to bring to panels to connect motu racks with 45' firewire cables.. NEVER had a problem in 300 shows

Quote Originally Posted by Mattseymour View Post
    Thanks for that, I just assumed it was firewire because of the connector. If I went with a Motu 424 , what can I expect for performance? 32x? 64x?

Maybe this is the way to transistion. Would I have less issues than going Raydat? Im running XP professional 32 bit.

Thanks -Eric