Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oh no, not another video question!

'Fraid so...

I shot a video of a trio I'm in with a little Canon PowerShot camera that records AVI video. I also had access to the multi-track audio files from the sound company.

I loaded the video and audio into SAW, remixed, and rendered it to a DV Type 1 avi file. Everything went swimmingly until I tried to play it in WMP. It won't move... just sits there with the opening shot... I can move the cursor down the timeline and see all the video, but... no motion. It simply won't play.

So I then rendered it to a DV Type 2 avi file, and it plays back fine, but is out of sync. I think it gets worse the longer it plays.

Does anyone know a solution to this dilemma?

TIA
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Default Re: Oh no, not another video question!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    'Fraid so...

I shot a video of a trio I'm in with a little Canon PowerShot camera that records AVI video. I also had access to the multi-track audio files from the sound company.

I loaded the video and audio into SAW, remixed, and rendered it to a DV Type 1 avi file. Everything went swimmingly until I tried to play it in WMP. It won't move... just sits there with the opening shot... I can move the cursor down the timeline and see all the video, but... no motion. It simply won't play.

So I then rendered it to a DV Type 2 avi file, and it plays back fine, but is out of sync. I think it gets worse the longer it plays.

Does anyone know a solution to this dilemma?

TIA
    To start with - Make sure you have your MT set to the same rate your video is at *before* you begin production. Also... not a bad idea to also transfer the actual camera audio onto another track... and clap-sync it up (or whatever works for you). Then mute (or subtly add in) the audio from the camera.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    To start with - Make sure you have your MT set to the same rate your video is at *before* you begin production. Also... not a bad idea to also transfer the actual camera audio onto another track... and clap-sync it up (or whatever works for you). Then mute (or subtly add in) the audio from the camera.
    Thanks Carl... I will do this and report back.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Carl,

The extracted audio from the video is at 44.1k/16bit, and the audio files from the sound company are at 48k/24bit. Which resolution and sample rate should I set in the MT?

Thanks...
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

richard
    I should mix the MT down to a stereo file 24bit/48khz. in a 24bit/48khz project.
    than convert/save as/render this mix to 16bit/44.1khz (with a Dither).
    start a new project, load the camera file and your mix.
    now you can sync your mix to the camera file.
    lower or mute the volume of the camera file to tast, mix this together to
    a new stereo .wav file.
    put this under the video and now it will be synced.
    convert now the new video file to any format you like.

greetings
    janneman

I changed the MT resolution to 48k/24bit, and when I try to render to Type 1 I get a message saying "Trouble Building Render Graph". When I try to render to Type 2, I get a message saying "Bit resolution must be 16 bits".

So I mixed the audio tracks down to 44.1k 16bit and made a Type 1 video. Same problem that I had initially... it won't play in WMP. I can drag the cursor along the time line and see all the video, but I can't get it to play.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions welcomed.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Quote Originally Posted by janneman View Post
    richard
    I should mix the MT down to a stereo file 24bit/48khz. in a 24bit/48khz project.
    than convert/save as/render this mix to 16bit/44.1khz (with a Dither).
    start a new project, load the camera file and your mix.
    now you can sync your mix to the camera file.
    lower or mute the volume of the camera file to tast, mix this together to
    a new stereo .wav file.
    put this under the video and now it will be synced.
    convert now the new video file to any format you like.

greetings
    janneman
    I have tried this, and the Type 1 render won't play, and the Type 2 render is still out of sync... getting worse later in the duration of the rendered video (about 40 minutes long).

All looks and plays great in SAWStudio; perfect sync all the way though... it's just the renders that either won't work or are out of sync. I MUST be doing something wrong; just can't figure it out. Thanks for your input Janneman.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

hello richard
    I tried it the way I explained many times.
    I maked video's before on concerts, where I did the livesound, maked also MT recordings.
    the video was shot from FOH, steady overview of the stage.
    all audiomixes I did in Protools. (like I descriped above)
    later I mixed the sound under the video with a video editor program.
    never did any mixes in SAW, I own SAW just to make MT with SAC.
    I still have to get familiar with SAW for mixing.
    in the meantime I use Protools.

but I think your solution is:
    first extract the cam-audio from the video with a video editor program
    than mix all audio down to 16bit/44.1khz like in my other post.
    and than load this file into the Video editor program again.
    sync it to the original cam-audio. mute the original cam-audio (in case you maked a mix of cam-audio&MT) render this (video&new-audiomix) and it should work.

greetings
    janneman

Hello Janneman,

I am using SAWStudio for all functions; I don't have a video editing program. But I have extracted the audio from the video (which can be done in SAWStudio), placed the video on the video track, added the multi-track audio collected by the sound company, mixed the multi-track audio down to two tracks of 44.1/16bit stereo, and then tried to render both as type 1 and type 2 avi files and both failed as described. Since you're using a separate video editing program for video and PT for audio mixing, I'm not sure we can make comparisons.

My video was recorded at a frame rate of 29.970, so I even tried restamping the header at a frame rate of 30 to see if that would help. Same result.
    I DO very much appreciate your effort to help. I will keep trying to resolve this.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Richard,

Perhaps you might want to give me a call and we can try a few things to find out what is causing the grief. There should be a solution in there somewhere.

Bob L