Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X41 Thinkpad tablet: Stylus not operating...

Just picked up an X41 Thinkpad Tablet. The previous owner was running Linux. He did a fresh install of Windows XP and now I've discovered the Stylus does not work. Nor do any of the other tablet function (screen orientation etc.)

More than likely a driver issue. The unit functions fine as a SAC Remote, and as a "normal" computer. Wireless works fine. ...ust the tablet / Stylus functions.

Likely cause ...wrong / No drivers for Tablet functions? I've gone into the Hardware settings and it says the stylus is enabled and working..but it's not.

Suggestions?
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Default Re: X41 Thinkpad tablet: Stylus not operating...

I run Win7 on mine, but make sure you have all the IBM drivers loaded - I know there are drivers for the screen to make it appear as a mouse for non-tablet OSs (such as XP - assuming you're not using Tablet edition)

I didn't realize there was a Tablet edition of XP. I'll have to check. I don't think it is though...which would explain things.

So are you saying that I need the XP tablet edition to make things work ...or can I run it by downloading specific drivers for XP SP3?
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's

Might be worth picking up the Win8 pro upgrade for $40 and give that a go.

Do I need any of the original XP Key code numbers when I upgrade? I doubt the guy I bought it from has them anymore...

(That may sound like a stupid or even irrelevant question but I'm just diving in to the Tech / Software side of things and this is all somewhat new to me...)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
    Do I need any of the original XP Key code numbers when I upgrade? I doubt the guy I bought it from has them anymore...

(That may sound like a stupid or even irrelevant question but I'm just diving in to the Tech / Software side of things and this is all somewhat new to me...)
    You should have a license key sticker on the computer casing unless Lenovo sold it without Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post

Run Belarc Advisor on it (free from Belarc.com). In addition to providing info on all of your hardware and software, it also gives you both the Product ID *AND* Serial Key for installed programs. It's saved my bacon a few times.

HTH,
    Jeff

7th Voice FOH/Mon/Sys Tech
    www.7thVoice.net
    www.reverbnation.com/7thvoice

SAC Installation:
    Dell Optiplex 990, Intel i5/4GB RAM
    3xMOTU 2408, PCI-424x card, 6x ART TubeOpto8, 2x Motormix

SAC Portable Rig:
    IBM ThinkCentre M50 3.2GHz/4GB RAM
    2x MOTU 2408/PCI-424x card, 2x ART TubeOpto8, 2x M-Audio Profire 2626
    Yamaha Promix01 controller, EWI Tourcase
    CUDJ-P-22.

Quote Originally Posted by gdougherty View Post
    You should have a license key sticker on the computer casing unless Lenovo sold it without Windows.
    It does have the sticker . Thanks George!

Quote Originally Posted by jlklein View Post
    Run Belarc Advisor on it (free from Belarc.com). In addition to providing info on all of your hardware and software, it also gives you both the Product ID *AND* Serial Key for installed programs. It's saved my bacon a few times.

HTH,
    Jeff
    That's a great tip . Thanks Jeff

Yes, there is a tablet edition of XP. After XP, it was rolled into the mainline code, so there is no special edition for Win 7/8 (and vista is dead to me, so I don't know).

OK...checked out the Key code sticker on the bottom of the X41 and it is indeed a Tablet Edition XP OS....that's what it shipped with. Now...the guy I bought it from installed XP Pro....

Will Microsoft let me download a fresh install of the Tablet Edition software from the website?