Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SAW/SAC link

Default Re: SAW/SAC link

I use Tapeit for the stereo file. Sometimes I'll set up a separate Monitor mixer tapped at the source and have an assistant with isolating headphones to mix it to better optimize the balances.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

2. Default Re: SAW/SAC link

Just a caution from a recent experience:

I had TapeIt patched in to a main output on the 00 mixer and didn't want to record the whole service, just the sermon. At the start of the sermon, from the host, I hit the record button on TapeIt and the system muted as the dialog box to choose a file name and location opened. I scrambled and closed TapeIt and the signal came back. Meanwhile, several, literal show-stopping seconds went by while the lead pastor and about 600 pairs of eyes glared my direction.

Just make sure you try it and know exactly what to expect.

I tried the same thing later that week in a rehearsal with no muting and it all worked as I expected, but at least that one time the program, one or the other, DIDN'T do what was expected. This is why I'm not real confident in TapeIt right now.

SAC is our main mixer for FOH and monitors in a 1200 seat church with a full band who comes in with unexpected extra instruments and changes things last minute just like a "regular" rock band would. We have 10+ stereo monitor mixes, Left, Center, Right, Sub FOH mixes and mixes to recording and cry room. We routinely run 30+ channels on Sunday mornings. We're not "easy" on SAC. It has mostly been stable, but there HAVE been a couple surprises and there are limitations.

I would REALLY like to see an iPad app and better, "simple" recording support. This is NOT a bitch fest, but you need to have your eyes wide open when you build and operate a SAC system.

Jeremy

You shouldn't have the audio dropout if you use a dedicated out for Tapeit. This can be another out on your FOH mixer or a seperate mixer just for TapeIt (which is my preference). The out you use for Tapeit doesn't actually have to be assigned to a hardware out. Having a separate out means you don't record your FOH processing (if you're doing any) and you can drop a compressor over the output to even it out if you like.

Also, there's a button on the interface that lets you set up the file name beforehand (left of the record button IIRC).
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyJo View Post
    Just a caution from a recent experience:

I had TapeIt patched in to a main output on the 00 mixer and didn't want to record the whole service, just the sermon. At the start of the sermon, from the host, I hit the record button on TapeIt and the system muted as the dialog box to choose a file name and location opened. I scrambled and closed TapeIt and the signal came back. Meanwhile, several, literal show-stopping seconds went by while the lead pastor and about 600 pairs of eyes glared my direction.

Jeremy
    I run TapeIt for the webcast mixes of our services recording directly from the webcast monitor out. One file for the worship music and a second for the sermon only. The key is pre-planning. I set up and name each file before service starts. During the announcements, I switch files. I've never heard a problem.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    When a live stereo mix is required on one of my sessions now, I just use one of the Monitor Mixers and loop the stereo output back around to a stereo input and record that into SAWStudio thru the link on a separate track, along with the multitrack source data... seems to work out fine.
    The plan was to allow 8 stereo outputs to be recorded if I remember correctly - that would allow stems to be recorded, as well as live FX, etc. which are what is helpful when doing live multitracks. It would be silly to use SAW to just do a stereo board mix (as TapeIt is much easier and better suited for that). When you need a bunch of outputs, tapeit doesn't make much sense.

I take from this, that I should stop waiting for that feature to ever arrive. The solution appears to be to use 16 physical ins and outs and a monitor mixer to accomplish what this feature was supposed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JLepore View Post
    It would be silly to use SAW to just do a stereo board mix (as TapeIt is much easier and better suited for that).
    Exactly, that's why I downloaded it. It's all I needed at the moment.

Saw64, SAC64 DP, Live, Cubase, Logic Pro and LUNA
    http://www.jillandrich.net

When I use Tape-it, or HGW Wave recorder for 2track recording, I put it on it's own master out & route things there as well...no worries about the plug needing a dialog while it interrupts my main out, and I can run separate processing for it & tweak what I might need to in house or recording with no fear of adversely affecting the other. That way I can use submasters for stuff like parallel compression & channel grouping & such, use other masters for loudspeaker processing including delay fills when needed & and still have a clean tidy 2-track
    Last edited by Trackzilla; 11-22-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    Ramsey
    Kingsnake Sound Company
    Host:1U Supermicro rack case/I5-3570K/ASUS Sabertooth Z77/8GB Ram, 32GB SATA flash OS drive/250GB SATA storage drive/DVD-RW/HP1U KVM/DLink DIR-655 WirelessN OS: Win7 I/O: MOTU PCIx-424, 3x MOTU 2408mk3, 9xADA8000 Plugs:RML Levelizer,SAWverb; DualLinkwitzRileyFilter; Voxengo Gliss; ReaXcomp; Dominion; + testing others
    Typical Show:24-40 Channel, 4-8 mixes+sidefill, Stereo FOH+SAW multitracking
    Buffer & load: 2x32, 25-55% depending

The SACLink is designed to do multitrack recording into SAWStudio running in the background... the idea is that recording a source split multitrack of every chan offers much more than any stereo mix of a live show ever will... my suggestion was that when I am doing a full live multitrack recording using the SACLink AND I also wish to have a live stereo reference mix done at the same time, its very useful and easy to simply physically loop back any stereo device output from any of the mixer master out buses and record that as a separate track into the same multitrack recording.

The current option of linking all the input chans is to be expanded to add 8 stereo output signals to also be linked directly in software to SAWStudio... but the final design method of how this will be implemented is still under experimental testing. There are various methods I am experimenting with to accomplish this option and each has its possible pluses and minuses... the final implementation will happen when it happens.

Bob L