Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Creating/Adapting Midi Template Files

Hi,

we are using two BCF2000 with SAC and we really like SAC to use. Unfortunately, the BCF does not have LCDs for a scribble strip. Hence, we started to build displays with a micro controller that listens for the midi messages. It almost works with the Mackie Control Template and the BCF would support a preset for the Mackie Control.

But there is one issue: SAC can only handle a Mackie Control or a Mackie Control Extender at the same time. This means we get only the channel names for the fist 8 channels.

Is there a way how we could adapt/extend/create our own midi template files?
    The "dream" would be enhance the BCF template by the channel names, e.g. But any other way would also be very fine.

Regards, Max

Default Re: Creating/Adapting Midi Template Files

Your best bet would be translating the MIDI output from the motormix templates. You will not get the existing templates modified, and it is doubtful new ones will be created, especially for home-brew hardware.

Board tape and Sharpie still works good
    NO programming necessary
    Also seems to make band and guest engineers happy

Butch

Isn't that the same band who's bass player locked the keys in the van... Took an hour to get the drummer out!
    Phil

E8500 2gig XP SP3 DIGI9652 ADA8000 x3

5. Default Re: Creating/Adapting Midi Template Files

Sorry for answering very late. I had a lot of things to do before/over Christmas.

I investigated the MotorMix output within MidiOx. When using the 8 fader template, I get all the channel names within a SysEx message.

Unfortunately, when using the 16 fader template, I do not get the SysEx messages for the channel names at all.

Does anyone have an idea why the messages are not there? Maybe Bob can answer this question?

Regads, Max

The Motormix 16 chan template expects each 8 chans to be on sequential midi chans... so the first 8 on midi chan 1 and the next 8 on midi chan 2... that is what the special ROM updates for the Motormix do.

Bob L

7. Default Re: Creating/Adapting Midi Template Files

Thanks Bob for your reply. Considering that we have two BCF 2000 and would like to use our "LCD extension", what would be your recommendation to get 16 channel names on the strip?

The main question is whether SAC needs to know the actual setup of the MIDI devices or whether it simply would sent the sysex messages. (For explanation, I use a demo version of SAC without any physical MIDI controller at home for development purpose...)

Does SAC need some kind of pingback from the MotorMix (respective BCF 2000 in MotorMix mode)?

Max,

Unfortunately each one of these controllers is completely different in the way it communicates and requires or does not require feedback between it and the host.

Each template has been designed to specifics for the exact controller... mixing and matching templates and controllers is not a fun experience and not one I am happy about chasing.

The Mackie protocol requires a separate PORT for each 8 chans... this is not something the engine supports for many design reasons... the Motormix at least only required a different midi CHAN per 8... this is the prefferred way of doing it, in my opinion.

If you create your LCD extension to look on the next sequential midi chan (chan 1 and chan 2) for the next 8 names, they should be there with the 16 chan MotorMix template.

Bob L

9. Default Re: Creating/Adapting Midi Template Files

Hi Bob,

thank you very much for your extensive answer. I have a few questions left in order to understand it right.

- The motor mix does not send feedback to SAC in order to request data for the second 8 channels, right?

- How do I configure SAC with the two Midi channels?

The real current setup is using MidiOx/MidiYoke to map the Midi-Out of SAC to two diffrent devices (BCF 2000) that are currently connected via USB. (Within my testing environment, I only have one Midi device (i.e. my sound card) connected via MidiOx/MidiYoke to SAC.
    Does a physical MidiPort handle only one Midi Channel or multiple?

I would be very glad if you could lead me to the right direction. I am a computer scientist and get the programming managed, but the configuration part makes me trouble.

May SAC be enhanced by additional functionality regarding Midi mapping in the near future?

Regards, Max

The 16 ch Motormix template sends the first 8 chans on midi chan 1 and chans 9-16 on midi chan 2.

The display data is automatically sent by the host every time the hot chan is changed (when the controllers are set to chase) and are not requested by the controller.... but there is a handshake between the host and controller necessary to hold the faders in a new position... it does require bi-directional communication.

Bob L