Close

Default headphone distribution system

Does anyone know the best simplest headphone distribution system to use for SAWstudio?

Default Re: headphone distribution system

Quote Originally Posted by paul kostabi View Post
    Does anyone know the best simplest headphone distribution system to use for SAWstudio?
    I've often found the Furman HDS6/HR6 system for low cost, used.
    Works great when you want/need some distance between the gear and your headphone position, since it uses little remote boxes. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of a headphone jack (or two) on the main rackmount unit, itself... meaning that I have to keep a remote in the control room to monitor off the Furman if I need to. What a waste of a remote, if the main unit is in a rack near your desk.

I'm sure there are more "simple" systems that are just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I've often found the Furman HDS6/HR6 system for low cost, used.
    Works great when you want/need some distance between the gear and your headphone position, since it uses little remote boxes. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of a headphone jack (or two) on the main rackmount unit, itself... meaning that I have to keep a remote in the control room to monitor off the Furman if I need to. What a waste of a remote, if the main unit is in a rack near your desk.

I'm sure there are more "simple" systems that are just as good.
    I used the Furman system for quite a few years. I would just solo the sources at my console. Of course, if you're not quite sure what's what at the console (as happens occasionally ), it could be pretty handy to be able to plug right in to a Furman jack.

To answer the OP's question: I'd think your choice of headphone distribution system would be much more guided by your specific logistical needs than by what DAW you're using.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Just finished dealing with this myself. You need to make sure the output impedance is suitable for the impedance of your headphones...and they vary all over the place.

I tried several low end 1U high units as well as several mid range offereings. In the end...one of the quietest and best tone were several of the individual Behringer Headphone HA400 or MA400 personal monitor amps. Kid you not.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Quote Originally Posted by paul kostabi View Post
    The nice thing about SAW? So many outputs. So you could really feed individual pairs of outs to small mixers and let the user control levels. If you can find an OzMix, they're pretty nice. The Furmans are fairly standard, with Rolls making a nice similar box with external controls. I have one of those Berhinger 400s, and it sounds nothing like the recording, but it works and has a lot of features for little money, including 2 separate inputs with each of the four outs being able to select either input, and four spare outs on the back which echo the front panel settings.

It comes down to how much control you want to give to the talent, though..and how much they can get along with each other. Some need to control their own mixes, and then you need like an aviom or hearback system (on the cheaper side) or a Masque or Mytek Private Q (for quite a bit more quality and money). I've thought about adapting a Jamhub, looks doable, but I've never used one.
    "We have a situation where somebody has learned that 'tape' sounds good. Tape doesn't sound good. Tape sounds like crap. But sometimes good stuff gets put on tape." "Putting crap to tape...sounds like crap."

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by current.

"I do not think that the wireless waves I have discovered will have any practical application,..." Heinrich Rudolf Hertz

Still using the Furman here. Just enough control for those who want it. Not too much for those who don't.

I do agree about it not having a headphone out on the amp itself, but since implementing SAC in the studio, hearing the headphone mix is now a matter of switching to the monitor(s) I'm sending the mix from.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    ... but since implementing SAC in the studio, hearing the headphone mix is now a matter of switching to the monitor(s) I'm sending the mix from.
    True enough.

And when/if I do use SAC/SAW together, I find I don't need to check the Furman much at all, as it seems that no one has any complaints about the sound anymore. But I'm not quite used to it yet.