Close

Thread: Friday's Gig

Default Friday's Gig

Did a great band (Dazey Chain with Josh Weathers) for a Commercial Insurance Company Christmas Party. Being an Insurance Company, they would not allow even a power cord to FOH. So Ted ran FOH with 3 outputs (inboard mains, outboard mains, and subs) from small ASUS notebook. I ran 4 monitor mixes plus lights from stage side.

My good news is: I confirmed sound job for BB King show Jan 17th in Tyler TX. Any of you big time guys have any hints for me? I will certainly use ethernet for FOH rather than wireless. Was able to match his tech rider exactly with my SAC rig. (Glad I didn't need to match his food requirements.)
    David www.DavidGlassSoundServices.com
    SAC/SAW System: I3 cpu, Intel SSD for Software & WD3200 300gb for Data, RME HDSP9652, 3 ADA8000, optical drive, dual 20" displays, AmpedWireless HiPwr router, Shure wireless talkback mic, SAC, SAWlite, Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, Levelizer, WaveLab, WinAmp.
    Remote: Lenovo 16" notebook, 20" 2nd display, BCF 8 channel Fader pack.

Default Re: Friday's Gig

Good going on the gig.

Is Glass House working out for you?

Hap

I have worked with BB a couple times very nice guy
    Watch his horn players they want it LOUD in their monitors
    Did I mention VERY VERY LOUD LOUD wedges for horn section???

Butch

Warning: Double whatever you thought you needed for monitors. If you ain't hittin 115+ where he's sitting, you don't have enough.

Glad for the advice on BB King. Have attached his stage setup with my notes.
    Mains are Caldwell Line array that I have used before, they get O1 L&R (their sub crossover is hard wired). Front fills are O3 L&R on 4 15" tops, 1000wt per side. O2 L (Bass & Kick only) is for dual 18" sub, 2000wt behind drummer.
    Monitors are 8 mixes of 12" wedges (except as noted) 500wt per mix. Side fills get 2 15" tops. BB, Trumpet & Sax get 2 wedges each. Bass gets 18" sub. Drum gets 2 15" tops. Keys, R Gui get 1 wedge each.

1st, can monitors be loud enough for BB and horns? 2nd, will notching out microphone feed back be noticed in monitor mixes? 3rd, how does BB manage a straight stand mic and his guitar?

Channel assignments are based on 8 XLR stage boxes to 8 channel ADA8k, with single 8 fader unit at FOH (see pic). With one vocal (BB, B58a), the main part of the show on 1st 8, horns on 2nd eight, and drums on last eight for meaningful fader bank switching.

I can increase power on 4 monitor mixes up to 1900wt, but I really don't want to be hearing monitor mixes out front louder than mains. 2000 seat room with balcony.

BTW Hap, glass house is working great for all four of us when the sun doesn't shine. That is it pictured in thread starter.
    David www.DavidGlassSoundServices.com
    SAC/SAW System: I3 cpu, Intel SSD for Software & WD3200 300gb for Data, RME HDSP9652, 3 ADA8000, optical drive, dual 20" displays, AmpedWireless HiPwr router, Shure wireless talkback mic, SAC, SAWlite, Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, Levelizer, WaveLab, WinAmp.
    Remote: Lenovo 16" notebook, 20" 2nd display, BCF 8 channel Fader pack.

of course you can notch out feedback freqs - you're gonna have to do a lot of that to get the levels you will need. I would prepare for everything, and you WILL hear the wedges out front - count on it. Chop the bottom end up a bit so you don't hit the resonance frequencies of the room in the wedges, and in the extreme case, time align the mains back to the wedge/side fill line. I've also been known to throw the mains out of phase to counter this if it gets too bad.

+1 for what Joe says

Did I mention the Horn monitors will be LOUD
    No need to put horns into FOH mix
    Hope I never have to do a show with both BB and Buddy Guy together
    I would just have to hang to arrays backward and just use a couple of wedges for FOH

Butch

Quote Originally Posted by JLepore View Post
    Warning: Double whatever you thought you needed for monitors. If you ain't hittin 115+ where he's sitting, you don't have enough.

Quote Originally Posted by glass50 View Post

Monitors are 8 mixes of 12" wedges (except as noted) 500wt per mix.
    Take Joe's advice and then double it again. Unless you have some really high-end wedges, I don't think you'll hit 115dB with 500 watts my friend. I can hit 115 with my 1800 watt JBL SRX wedges but I don't think you're going to be able to do that with 500 watts. Anxious to know how this turns out. Best of luck to you. Always love seeing your show pictures!
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)