Close

Default A Summing Test that needs your evaluation

I have a few different ways I can sum in my studio. I would like input on which sounds better.

I threw together a 1 minute song that is 4 bars looped. There are 12 stereo tracks that I set up in such a way that I would be summing 24 tracks. (I did this by reducing the stereo field on all 12 stereo tracks thereby sending some right signal to the left and some left signal to the right. I used the Flux Stereo Tool on all 12 tracks to do this.) I recorded/rendered this result in three different summing manners.

In an editor, I trimmed and normalized the 3 tracks, compiled them, and then master compressed/limited the compilation.

What I would like to know is which of the 3 versions sounds better or worse to you and why? Please ignore the composition and mix, and concentrate on over-all sound quality between the 3 versions.

Here is a link to the wav file. If you want to transport this file to a non-internet playback platform, you may right-click the link and "save-as."

http://www.sensawehr.com/wav/Summing%20Test%20v3.4a.wav

If you are a member of another forum that would be willing to help with this test, please re-post this there and provide a link in this thread so that I can follow the results.

After getting feedback on this I will post info on how I summed the tracks.

Remember, there is no right or wrong answer, just personal preference.

Thanks

Russell
    (The ANALog mixer has been in the van for a year straight now... just in case.)

Default Re: A Summing Test that needs your evaluation

Here is a link to a thread in another forum where I posted this test.

http://forums.taxi.com/topic92700.html

The first mix is slightly louder. No opinion otherwise. If it's done right you really should not hear any difference between in-the-box mixes. Obviously if you have diifferent RMS levels hitting some sort of mastering phase you will get different results, even though you may normalized the peaks.

2 mixes were summed outside the box in different "boxes." I mastered the compilation to get the three sections as close to the same so that the summing differences could be heard.

Russell,
    My first choice: Track #1 has a more open sound stage and an apparent higher rms level.

In a short listen, tracks #2 and #3 don't seem very different (if at all).
    Gary R.

When evaluating A/B's of things with subtle differences between them it's extremely important if you want to have a fair evaluation to have each file level matched as perfectly as possible - because it's been found that even one file that is 0.1dB louder than the other will get picked most as being "best".

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

I preferred number two. It had the most natural sound for me, in as much as a composition with synths can be natural, and it reproduced the tone of the middle synth doing the riff best. Number one has a slight brashness in the high mid which I didn't care for. Number three was my second favourite, slightly more clinical than two and possibly better on the low bass. But this is on my monitor system which isn't the best, just some standard small two way budget Tannoys. On another system I can imagine other things standing out.

Now you're going to tell us they are all the same mix!

#1 much more clarity and spread. the main high freqs were in the DX7 sounding glass bell keyboard patch panned slightly right, playing the whole note chords. The other instruments were relatively the same all around as they seem to be from lower quality sampled instruments.

So I'm judging everything off that one keyboard. But definitely #1

EDIT- listening again, that keyboard is actually lower in the mix in number 2. Is there some cancellation going on in narrowing the stereo spread? It's vastly lower. So #2 is my least favorite. But i'm suspicious now of "all things being equal"...

BTW I'm listening through Sony MDR-7506 headphones.
    Last edited by studio-c; 12-21-2012 at 02:33 PM.