Close

Default Creating A Click Track

Hello,
    I am trying to create a click track within SS and hit a wall that I just can't seem to get through. I had downloaded the SS Videos and watched how to make a click track. I will start from scratch, I created a new session and in the timeline I have enabled Tempo Mode and Snap To Grid, I go to tempomap settings, set tempo at position and begin mapping out a non recorded song. Whenever I try to do anything I get an error: No Active Track Is Assigned To A Valid Output!! I haven't enabled any track although track 1 is selected and my output shows D-01S which is my ASIO 1-2 output. Can anyone please send me in the right direction? Thank you, Tom

Default Re: Creating A Click Track

Hi. You'll get that error whenever there is nothing in the multitrack to play. You need to have an actual .wav file that is the sound you want for the click track. Using the file menu, import a wave file into the regions list. It can be a drum track that you will take just a single bass drum note from. In any case, you will need to edit the sample down to size so you can fit 4 of them in a measure, or whetever. See editing in the soundfile view for this.
    Once you have your sound as a region in the region list, you will select an area of time in the mutitrack window. Then select the region you have edited and use ctrl-insert (pretty sure that's the one) to get that region to go to all the grid locations in the selected area. Works great.

You might also try
    http://www.jms-audioware.com/ss_click.htm
    It's freeware. I had never used a click and had it going very quickly. The trick others pointed out is that you need a region on the click track past the end of the song.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

I normalt use the Midi workshop or the JML metronom plugin.

But I just tested how to do it the more manual way
    and its faily easy.

1. Prepere a click sound, I just took a tik from a
    sfx. libery. Dobbel click it so it open up in the soundfile
    window, mark the click and hit "N" on the keyboard.
    Type click. you should see the click sound in the region list
    regions window.

2. Select tempo mode and choose your tempo.

3. Hit "G" on the keyb. for grid mode.

4. Mark the area on the timeline where you want the click
    to start and end.

5. Select the click region in the regions window and hit ctrl+insert.

You should now have a click on each beat in the marked timeline area.

Hope this help.

Sebastian

I use this http://www.finemetronome.com/index.html It's a standalone program, but it allows you to output the settings as a wave file. And of different lengths. I think the max is 16 bars. I spent a little time making some files, so now I just open the library view and pull in what I need. It's only 20 bucks. Works great.

Thank you all so much. been sick with the flu or a cold from hell that knocked me out for 3 days, I will try all the recommendations. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    You might also try
    http://www.jms-audioware.com/ss_click.htm
    It's freeware. I had never used a click and had it going very quickly. The trick others pointed out is that you need a region on the click track past the end of the song.
    FWIW, this is what I've used for years, and really like it. It's especially fast to set up a tempo if you have MidiWorkshop as well, but it works with SAWStudio alone too.

I've been in contact with Jon (the plug-in developer) lately trying to get him to fix the "alternate sound" option, which is not working. But if you're okay with the "factory" sound, it's a good click track creator. You can also make a physical click file from it if you want to see the beats. A nice addition is "tap tempo" from Analog X to help you get in the ballpark of the tempo you're seeking. This is also a free plug-in.
    http://www.analogx.com/
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.