Close

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: New subs

1. Default OT: New subs

I'm just completing building a pair of subs. These things are MONSTERS using 18 inch drivers. They are not small however, each sub is a one sheet of ply build and will weigh just about 75 lbs finished weight, they are almost completely flat from 140 down to just below 40 (38), they put out ~125 db top end, It took just over an hour to completely cutout both speakers on a table saw, and another 6 hours to completely assemble them (taking my time). I figure another 3 hours to sand and paint them. Ready for the price tag? 330 bucks...not for each... for the pair.

These things blow away everything I've heard from BillFitz, and tons of ready made commercial stuff (the EAW dual 18s got nothing on these). Highly directional and monster sound. Four of them installed at a night club pointed at the dance floor was not a good thing. The kitchen was located behind the wall for the dance floor. The cooks were not happy when things started falling off the walls and shelves.

Default Re: OT: New subs

Ok Yogi...you've baited the trap.....

What's it gonna take for us to get the plans for these wonder subs...
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

3. Default Re: OT: New subs

Lemme talk to the guy who designed them.

Let's hope the Speaker Gods smile favorably on us mere mortals and decide to allow us this Low End wisdom!

Let us know.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

I am especially interested to know how an 18" driver produces directional sound for a 28' wavelength.

6. Default Re: OT: New subs

You'd have to see how the cab is designed. It's not 100% directional but you can detect off axis variations and volume levels. Think in terms of cardioid subs. Standing directly in front is definitely a different volume level than off to the side. Tapped horns tend to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
    Tapped horns tend to do that.
    Something borrowed from Mr Danley maybe

Butch

sounds like cubo 18s.Design can be had at freespeakerplans

9. Default Re: OT: New subs

Mr. Danley is very close. This particular design is based on the Dayton Audio PA460-8, which is 97.50 shipped. The whole cab is cut out of one sheet of 4 X 8 ply and just about all you have left over is sawdust. Simple assembly, 8 pieces 5 of which is the front, back, sides, and top. I put two of them together in about 10 hours total work time. I talked to the designer and anyone who wants the design can contact me. I have Sketchup drawings that include the cut sheet.
    Last edited by Yogi; 01-08-2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: The Sub model number was incorrect.

10. Default Re: OT: New subs

Quote Originally Posted by noel boylan View Post
    sounds like cubo 18s.Design can be had at freespeakerplans
    Noel, the cubo has a much shorter horn length (and is more compact) and while it is much more simple to build than some designs it is nowhere as simple as this design. 5 19" cuts from a sheet of ply and then one cut in one of those 19" panels, and 3 cuts in another 19" panel. I've never seen a cut sheet this simple or a design that goes together faster. The longer horn length also tends to smooth total response. The biggie to me is performance vs. price/effort. Nothing I've ever seen comes close.