Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Alternative to WMP?

When using my small portable rig, I get slipped buffers using WMP and the SPDIF loopback on the Profire lightbridge. Is there a lighter MP3 player alternative? I know this has been covered before but it's been a while and maybe new things have been discovered.
    Thanks,
    Gil

Default Re: Alternative to WMP?

Have you tried testing a second interface with WMP? The problem may not be in WMP, but in the profire drivers. I have no problems with WMP on my MOTU gear.

Just to test, set up WMP to go to the onboard sound card, and use an analog loopback. See if you still get the slipped buffers.. that should tell you what it is for sure.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

I am having great success with Foobar 2000 after switching from WMP. I won't go back. The final straw was having WMP cause a freeze on the SAC fader action when using WMP and the mouse. During a live gig. While playing backing tracks. Never again.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

A small netbook or laptop just for an audio player connected through the spidif or an analog cable works perfectly with no interaction on the host at all.

SAWStudioBasic on the host connected with a cable into SAC works perfectly as well... or SAWStudioLite or Full linked thru the SACLink is also a fantastic choice for backing tracks as well as break music.

Bob L

I don't remember the exact specifics, but I have had problems with WMP before with SAC on some systems. Switching over to Winamp fixed the issue (which is what I typically use anyway, or Multiplay).

I've never been much of a fan of WMP, seems like to much fluff gets in the way of real work, and lately you can't even use it to rip a CD anymore (or else they hid it really good).

Jeff

7th Voice FOH/Mon/Sys Tech
    www.7thVoice.net
    www.reverbnation.com/7thvoice

SAC Installation:
    Dell Optiplex 990, Intel i5/4GB RAM
    3xMOTU 2408, PCI-424x card, 6x ART TubeOpto8, 2x Motormix

SAC Portable Rig:
    IBM ThinkCentre M50 3.2GHz/4GB RAM
    2x MOTU 2408/PCI-424x card, 2x ART TubeOpto8, 2x M-Audio Profire 2626
    Yamaha Promix01 controller, EWI Tourcase
    CUDJ-P-22.

brettbrandon Guest

I have been using VLC for audio and video for years.... It's also free.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

One of the first things I do after installing windows is uninstall WMP and Windows Media Center (and a bunch of other windows garbage).

Brett

I use Foobar2000 with the remote browser interface, foo_httpcontrol. I have a huge music library on the host and I can access the complete library, playlists, etc. via any browser on the network and play back through the SPDIF loopback.

Great advice, Ill try some of these options. Thanks!

What also cool is to have a directory of "test" WAV files: tones, sweeps, noise, raw snare hits, drum and other instrument loops, etc. I use a snare hit with the foobar playback set to "loop" to test various reverb presets without anyone else having to help on stage. The possibilities are endless. You can loop the other test files, too.

I use VLC, managed remotely via http/web interface. Audio outputs on HOST buoltin HD audio interface, then I put it on ADA8000 via cable.

BUT, I'm going to be more confident with SAWStudioLite, integrated and better remotable.
    Host HP XW4600 workstation - WinXP - dual RME digi9652 - 5*ADA8000 // Remote Dell 9400