Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default quiet singer...need mic recomendation

I have a vocalist who has a soft voice, and I am having problems getting enough gain before feedback. I am using a sm58 right now...can someone make a suggestion for a new mic to try...cost is definitely a concern, so nothing too over the top, if possible!

2. Default Re: quiet singer...need mic recomendation

you could try a shure beta 58 or akg d5.... the d5 is directional but is a pretty hot mic cost is around 100 bucks

3. Default Re: quiet singer...need mic recomendation

+1 on the D5, the poor man's OM7:-)

Default Re: quiet singer...need mic recomendation

I've been pretty happy with my EV ND767a's. They can be had off ebay NEW for about $80. Much better gain-before-feedback than a standard 58.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

5. Default Re: quiet singer...need mic recomendation

And obviously make sure they stay close to the mic, not 3 feet away like they saw on the music video.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but hopefully it helps. First I'll say I always use SM-58's (not Betas) for live vocals. That said...

It has been my experience that you can get those extra couple dB out of even the most quiet singer if they get into the mic. If he/she is singing even 1" away from the mic, you're losing precious dB. The only way to get them to do this is to gradually turn their vocal down in their monitor (not the overall monitor mix, just their vocal). Some singers inherently hear themselves extremely well in their head so the added dB of the monitor makes them shy away from their microphone. But the industry has beat it into their brain that a "loud monitor is necessary" or is "better" than a quiet monitor. You can force them to transcend that paradigm by turning their vocal down in their monitor a little at a time. Naturally, beware your gain structure in other monitor mixes. As he/she starts pushing the meter up to the gain level you already set, she/he will get louder and louder in everyone elses' monitor.

Here's an example of the quietest singer on the planet in the worst room ever. I ever-so-gently feathered his vocal down in his monitor mix to get him to get into the mic. It took about 3 songs of tweaking and turning him down before I was able to get the vocals to the level I thought they should be at. But I like vocals up front. I like to be able to understand the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vv_A0d4vSY

Getting the vocals up-front in that room was a freakin' nightmare. No way I would have been able to do this without the power of SAC.

I hope this helps.
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)

Are the exercising good mic control? I am amazed at how many people seem to think that just because they are holding a mic, that it somehow magically picks up only their voice and so they will hold belly button level and then complain.

The SM58 has a much wider 'ball' pickup pattern and thus is more prone to early feedback than other tighter patterned mics. I love the Audix OM series and the beta58's are , IMHO , much preferred for vocals than a regular 58, if you need hot monitors. If they are not close on the mic, then your vocals will an even bigger problem with this type of mic.

The SM58 is far from my favourite mic but it has good gain before feedback and a nicely controlled pattern, although not the tightest. There are plenty of mics that will give you more level in general, but they won't cure bad technique.

Personally I like the current crop of back electret condensers, they sound good to me and are both robust and affordable. The Rode M2 is worth a look.

I like Shure B58. Has clear vocal deffinition rather than slightly muffled sound of sm58. Is hypercardiod with less monitor feedback on weak voices. Remember 60 degree angle, mic to monitor for null spot. B58 is a little more sensitive than sm58. I own about 24 B58, my favorite for live, both male and female.
    David www.DavidGlassSoundServices.com
    SAC/SAW System: I3 cpu, Intel SSD for Software & WD3200 300gb for Data, RME HDSP9652, 3 ADA8000, optical drive, dual 20" displays, AmpedWireless HiPwr router, Shure wireless talkback mic, SAC, SAWlite, Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, Levelizer, WaveLab, WinAmp.
    Remote: Lenovo 16" notebook, 20" 2nd display, BCF 8 channel Fader pack.

thanks everyone for the suggestions.