Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD or Intel?

Default Re: AMD or Intel?

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    This company makes some great products for a NO Fan solution. I am defiantly going no fan!
    fwiw - my DAW's are all kept in a "machine room" - actually just a walk in closet / store room adjacent to my main studio room - so keeping things cool in a low cost way is no problem for me as the fan noise doesn't get heard once the door to the other room is closed. I highly recommend this way to all who have space for it as really a great low cost solution to dealing with noise and getting long life out of your system as well.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSonic View Post
    fwiw - my DAW's are all kept in a "machine room" - actually just a walk in closet / store room adjacent to my main studio room - so keeping things cool in a low cost way is no problem for me as the fan noise doesn't get heard once the door to the other room is closed. I highly recommend this way to all who have space for it as really a great low cost solution to dealing with noise and getting long life out of your system as well.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson
    Agree with that but for those who do not have the "machine room" Fanless is the new kid on the block

Agree with that but for those who do not have the "machine room" Fanless is the new kid on the block
    Yup - space is definitely the deciding factor in this. Have fun with your new DAW and post back to let us know how the "No-Fan" hardware works out - always great to get product reviews from people that are trustworthy.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson

Blog Entries

Yup - space is definitely the deciding factor in this. Have fun with your new DAW and post back to let us know how the "No-Fan" hardware works out - always great to get product reviews from people that are trustworthy.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson
    Will do.

5. Default Re: AMD or Intel?

This company makes some great products for a NO Fan solution. I am defiantly going no fan!
    That's awesome.

I was gonna recommend endpcnoise.com
    They have a picture of the same NO FAN case on their home page right now. Price isn't too bad ($120).

I bought a Nexus PSU, CPU cooler and Case Fan from these guys for the 2u rack SAC/SawStudio rig. It's practically silent n' stays plenty cool.

Looks like they're selling complete DAW's now too. Crazy cool stuff.

About AMD
    My video editing system has an AMD Phenom II x6(cores) 2.8GHz 8G Ram x64 blah...
    All cores pretty much get tapped out upon rendering. No doubt a higher end video card would help during edit/preview.
    For the most part it works OK, but I have a strong sense I would've been better off with an Intel CPU.

SawStudio works just fine on this system too. Not recording here, but if I need to touch the audio, SawStudio is certainly what I go to.

Digital Dexterity Records

6. Default Re: AMD or Intel?

AMD is perfect for my.SAC and SAWSTUDIO.

Pedro v.

Steve ,

Can that Motherboard run Windows Xp ?

Quote Originally Posted by tank71 View Post
    Steve ,

Can that Motherboard run Windows Xp ?
    I believe it can - at least doing a Google search seems some folks in fact are using XP with it - just note that you'll just be restricted to 4 gigabyte for maximum RAM (which you would be with Win 7 32-bit version as well).

I've got my DAW built out and am installing Win7 64bit on mine tonight and then will try to get the Mixtreme 192 driver work around going for it later this week - http://support.davidsystems.com/sis_...opic.php?t=833
    I'll let folks know if the Mixtreme 192 driver workaround goes ok - if not I'll either dual boot to XP or buy a new AES card (most likely Lynx AES-16).

Best regards,
    Steve Berson
    Last edited by TotalSonic; 02-20-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson
    As you mentioned - "heat" is another big factor.
    Whether it's fanless or not - keeping the HD's and CPU cool is important.
    "Machine Rooms" have big advantages (more walls between studio/rest of house).
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

I've stuck with Intel as a no headache solution for 19 years now - so I can't really offer any comparisons but can say that I've had great success with them. I'm building a new DAW currently - ASUS P8Z77-V LX mobo, i7 2700k 3.5GHz quad core cpu, 8 gig DDR3 1600 RAM, Western Digital Velociraptor 10000rpm 500gb system drive. A big selling point of the mobo for me was the 3 PCI slots so that I can still use my old Mixtreme 192 and UAD-1 cards in it.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson
    Steve (Sure hope you're there)....
    I've done a lot of shopping... keeping coming back to *your* pick of mobo & chip!
    Two Questions:
    1. What do you do (how do you do?) e-SATA with that Mobo?
    2. How do you feed *two* DVI outs? (I only see 1 DVI & 1 VGA)
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com