Close

1. Default dual boot win xp/ win 8

Hi guys- sorry if I've missed this in earlier posts, but do any of you know of a way to set up my pc for dual boot windows xp sp3 and windows 8?...Is it possible?..I've got a lot of stuff I'd like to run in xp, but it would be great to have windows 8 on a partition for just SawStudio....thanks.

Default Re: dual boot win xp/ win 8

Quote Originally Posted by Planxty View Post
    Hi guys- sorry if I've missed this in earlier posts, but do any of you know of a way to set up my pc for dual boot windows xp sp3 and windows 8?...Is it possible?..I've got a lot of stuff I'd like to run in xp, but it would be great to have windows 8 on a partition for just SawStudio....thanks.
    Yes you can, I have that setup working now, IIRC Win8 setup choices allows you to specify dual boot....

Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

I plan to set up a dual boot system when I upgrade to 8 as well. The Disk Manager in XP doesn't allow for resizing and creating multiple partitions on a single drive, so I've downloaded the free Easeus utility from here:

http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Part...-10863346.html

The article Richard referenced implies that Windows 7 and 8 include the capacity to do this on their own, but it assumes a W7-to-W8 upgrade. I wonder if that's something that can be accomplished straight off the W8 install DVD, before doing an XP-to-W8 upgrade.

Guess I could also just dig out my old copy of Partition Magic. Miraculous software in its day!

5. Default Re: dual boot win xp/ win 8

Win8 will create a dual boot with 7 easily. The Disk Management needs just have room created for the Win8 install. I did my wife' laptop with same way. But not sure if a virus from her facebooking or the later removed test (was in beta) but ended up with Sp1 install issue on her laptop. Wouldn't install. Finally reformatted. I had Googled it until got bored.

6. Default Re: dual boot win xp/ win 8

Thanks a bunch guys...will give it a try.

IF you're going to have an XP SP2 partition, that's the obvious place to run SAW. Use Win8 for the latest browsers, new apps, touchscreen support etc. SAW is happiest in XP.

Dominic

8. Default Re: dual boot win xp/ win 8

Quote Originally Posted by AcousticGlue View Post
    Win8 will create a dual boot with 7 easily. The Disk Management needs just have room created for the Win8 install. I did my wife' laptop with same way. But not sure if a virus from her facebooking or the later removed test (was in beta) but ended up with Sp1 install issue on her laptop. Wouldn't install. Finally reformatted. I had Googled it until got bored.
    Very good insight, AcousticGlue. Pardon me for reading between the lines but I had a good chuckle from this
    But not sure if a virus from her facebooking or the later removed test (was in beta) but ended up with Sp1 install issue on her laptop. Wouldn't install. Finally reformatted.
    It's definitely a conveninent form of communication for some but I can name a good handful of people that somehow got viruses that they tied back to the good ole' fb.