Close

Default OT- Midas Venice F or U?

I've never owned an analog console larger than a mackie 14 channel. I'm seriously considering purchasing a Midas Venice. I like the console and the added digital aspect with firewire or usb. I've heard mentioned several times that firewire is better than usb for audio stuff, but firewire ports are becoming very scarce. Is usb fine for recording/playback/Waves MultiRack?
    Thanks.

Default Re: OT- Midas Venice F or U?

Quote Originally Posted by mojogil View Post
    I've never owned an analog console larger than a mackie 14 channel. I'm seriously considering purchasing a Midas Venice. I like the console and the added digital aspect with firewire or usb. I've heard mentioned several times that firewire is better than usb for audio stuff, but firewire ports are becoming very scarce. Is usb fine for recording/playback/Waves MultiRack?
    Thanks.
    Firewire 400 beats USB 2.0 hands down. I've yet to do real-time streaming audio via USB 3.0 or Firewire 800.
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)

Quote Originally Posted by mojogil View Post
    Thanks.
    It really depends on the implementation. RME do a brilliant job with USB. You'd have to look at reports of people using the Midas USB stuff to know if it was reliable and fast.
    If you are using the USB connection just for recording (or playback) then latency isn't an issue, just reliability, and USB2 bandwidth is more than enough for high channel counts. If the WavesMultiRack you are referring to is meant for 'real-time' effects (off the board and then back), then latency is clearly a consideration.
    Firewire, however superior, is pretty much dying as an audio interface. There's a massive installed base out there still using it, but new, it's less and less common both on the PC/MAC end of things, and at the interface end.

Dominic

Thanks for the replies. I would use the firewire/usb for multi track recording, virtual sound checks, and waves multi rack. Not all at once of course.