Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Collecting experience with WIFI

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Alright, I want to summarize some of the advice so far. I have not tried all of this yet but I will.

1. Make sure the wireless audio is not on the same frequencies
    2. Use inSSIDer to locate least used channels
    3. Do not park the access Point on top of wireless audio transmitters
    4. Consider a higher power unit from Amped wireless or some other higher gain device. Directional antennas may be an option.
    5. 2.4 GHZ usually more reliable than 5GHZ but in some cases 5GHZ may be less used and a better solution. But 5GHz has less range.
    6. Get antennas above crowd.
    7. MAC Filtering does not seem to help the cause
    8. Urban legend seems to say the Apple Airport APs perform better. (I hear this often.)
    Conclusion: I want to say thanks to everyone who shared their experience. It really made a difference. I have completed my study on this topic and will share with you my results. First, I have "solved" this issue and use WIFI on every gig now. The answer is a lot simpler than I expected and InSSIDer is the key. On the issues 1-8 above:

1. Not really an issue but could be somewhere.
    2. Using InSSIDer to locate the control channel with the least use and overlap from other APs dramatically improves transmission.
    3. This really is an issue but item 6 usually eliminates this issue.
    4. Never tried the AMPed solution. A +9DBi external antenna does improve signal levels substantially but item 6 removes this requirement. InSSIDer confirms this.
    5. 5GHz really performs worse than 2.4 GHz. for the same basic reasons. Interference from hundreds of bodies wrecks both frequencies.
    6. This is the key issue. Once the antenna is above all people and blocking structures, the WIFI service is quite reliable. I always find the highest point on stage to mount the antenna. If I have to, I fully extend a boom stand near the front of the stage and put an antenna on it. I do not put it behind speakers, amps, lights or any physical obstruction.
    7. MAC Filtering probably does make a small difference. I do transmit SSID cause the band cant figure out how to use WIFI without it. I do have all of their MAC addresses in the router and filter on them.
      1. I do not use any authorization or encryption. This seems to speed up synchronization but I have no numbers.

8. Never tried the Apple products.

I use a Netgear WNDR-4500, mounted high on a front lighting truss column. I use both bands. For the computers on stage, I switched to wiring them direct to the router with CAT5. They don't need to be wireless. I use a hub on the far side of the stage from the router. We have three computers on stage using the network. One is a Macbook Pro that is running iTunes for backing tracks that is controlled with an iPad mini, using the Remote App. The Macbook is wired and the iPad is WiFi. I have a notebook computer at FOH on 5Ghz and a netbook for walking around on 5Ghz. Every once in a awhile I get a lockup when I try to save a session from remote. Otherwise, it all works well. I do use inSSIDer to find the best channel allocation.

I use Amped Wierless.never had a problem with this one works up to 10,000 square feet. http://www.ampedwireless.com/

4. Default Re: Collecting experience with WIFI

It doesn't matter what wireless solution you have. It's all based on RF and must obey the laws of physics when it comes to RF ie: line of sight, obstacles and interference from other RF devices.

It's far too simplistic to claim that Device X is a silver bullet solution.

But there is an endless list of crappy gear and halfassed ideas that we'd all love to stay away from.
    Ben Farmer
    Omaha, NE
    ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrician

6. Default Re: Collecting experience with WIFI

That's why I love my 1 rack setup...
    Roll the SAC in right or left of stage, plug in the rack, run mic cables to the rig. Fire up the laptop and find the sweetspot, sometimes on a hightop table against the back wall or center behind the dance floor. No snake, which in most bars that was the most difficut part.
    One place we even had to fly the dam snake up over doorways. And then have to load out when the place was wall to wall Hip-Hopin', What a PINA.
    It's a breeze now.
    SAC/SAW Host:
    BioStar P43 Intel Core 2 Duo E5700 3.0Ghz
    4 GB 1333Mz DDR3 RAM
    OCZ 120GB SATA III SSD for XP
    Seagate SATA-2TB HD for record drive
    RME-HDSPe RayDAT
    Buffers 2x64 about 24%
    3x) Behringer ADA8200
    1x) Behringer ADA8000
    1x) Behringer HA4700 Headphone Amp
    D-Link DIR-655 router
    SAC Remote:Monitor and/or FOH Mix
    Acer Aspire Intel 2Core 2.13Ghz 4GB DDR3 Win7
    Toshiba-Satellite AMD 1.5G 4GB OCZ SSD HD Win7
    Pictures and more info here.

I will agree with rjdrummer the Amped Wireless system works well and cuts through the device chatter, using the Router and USB adapter there 600mW output vs. 50mW of standard units does make a difference, but nothing is perfect.

http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/r20000g.html
    Servantdigital.com