Close

Default First CD project

About ready to begin recording a music CD. It's our first try at this (a CD). So, I was wondering what the consensus is for which frequency and bit depth depth to record/master in... and what else I should be thinking about regarding these settings.

Thanks

Kent
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Default Re: First CD project

I still record CD bound stuff at 44.1kHz, but at 24 bits. Don't have to run the levels as hot, and to my ears it sounds cleaner.

YMMV.

Thanks-

What do you mean "you don't have to run the levels as hot"? Is that in the recording or in the mix?

Recording. 24-bit lowers the noise floor considerably as it provides greater dynamic range. I was a bit skeptical myself, thinking it wouldn't make that big a difference. Then I did a couple songs in 24-bit, still at 44.1 mind you, and I heard the difference immediately. Especially in a platform that sounds as clean as SAW to begin with.

That makes sense.

What happens to those extra bits, and the sound, when we burn the final mix to CD at 44.1 - 16bits?

What you'll do is build a final mix at 44.1/16. You''ll have the option to add a dither algorithm to take care of the least significant bits. SAW has three different ones to choose. I use Type 3, but you can certainly try all of them and see which one sounds good to you. Or you can not bother, in which case it'll just drop them.