Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Creating a composite of two nights' concert recordings

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
    I usually render each channel seperately, malt them and then remix. I'm guessing the issue was that you have crowd noise or some program material that ties the tracks together and keeps it flowing?

If that is the case, I would just malt out the segway tacks and piece it all back together.

But at what stage of the recording process to you add the hops?

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    That's cool. But these performers were no where near accurate enough to jump between performances mid song.

Unless of course you like sudden small changes to tempo mid song..
    There are a few tempo change edits in classic rock hits, but perhaps these are less subtle.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

3. Default Re: Creating a composite of two nights' concert recordings

Quote Originally Posted by CurtZHP View Post
    But at what stage of the recording process to you add the hops?
    My playbook likes to play games with words!

The last time I was consolidating "best of" from different performances (from a stage musical), I put different performances on different layers. Yes, there were timing differences, but then I would just split/keep across all tracks and slide one layer to match another after dropping out parts that I didn't want. There was at least one time when I had to pull a very short segment of a single track from one performance to another. Surprisingly, I got away with it.

I found keeping all tracks separated for editing and then mixing afterwards had some benefits. Sometimes I needed to edit different tracks at different points or with different softedge slopes to make the cleanest overall edit. This worked especially well where the edit was during applause.

It can be a bit of a PITA editing this way, but it gives the best chance of the best overall result, IMO.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com