Close

Default Creating 2.1 theater mix for DCP

just finished a 2.0 mix for small indie movie. My system is only a two channel card and I need to create a 2.1 mix for a Digital Cinema Pack (DCP) as three discrete channels L/R/LFE (no AC3 encoding)
    I tried to set up a mix using the surround by turning off all nodes except L/R and activating the Low Frequency Channel (splitting off at about 60Hz) I then tried to "build mix" but the options of course want to assign to corresponding voice cards.
    QUESTION: Is there a way to build the 2.1 mix even if I only have a two channel card? - - guess I could build a mono center mix + LFE then combine the ".1 sub" with the original stereo mix and submit them as different stems???

Teddy Hallaron

Default Re: Creating 2.1 theater mix for DCP

Even if you did have a multiple output sound card, SAW will only render mono or stereo .wav files. It won't render a multi-channel interleaved .wav file.

What I have done is just to render each output buss in an individual pass. So yeah you have to render twice or how ever many stereo files you need to generate, but it works OK.

You can then use tools like Sound Forge to combine them into a single interleaved .wav file if you like. You could use Audactiy as well I think.

If you have SAC, I have used the SAC-SAW link a couple of times just to make SAW think there was a multiple output sound card. This doesn't allow you to render an interleaved wav file, but it does mean you can render multiple .wav files all in a single pass.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

With a multi-chan card, SAWStudio can render all out files at the same time... however they are assigned as individual outs.

Bob L

Thanks Bob, that's where I'm heading I guess, RME here I come

Teddy Hallaron