Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: New Mobile Mix Pad

Bome's MIDI Translator

http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

It's a universal MIDI translator.

Inputs can be MIDI, Keystrokes, timers, etc...
    Outputs can be pass-through, different MIDI messages, keystrokes, mouse movements, window messages, and all sorts of other stuff.

So with this, if SAC has a keystroke available (like an F-key to jump to a monitor mix), you can map a MIDI signal to that keystroke.

The downside that will take some work is feedback...how do you know what screen you're on? I don't know if there's something in Windows to tell you that could be translated back to a MIDI signal to tell MIDIDesigner what window you're on. I suppose you could track that in MIDIDesigner, and force it with each message. (ie: if F4 is your monitor mix 1, anything done in the monitor mix 1 screen in MIDIDesigner would be sent with the MIDI signal for the F4 keystroke pre-pended to it)
    Jim King
    SSR Sound
    http://www.ssrrentals.com

Yeah I know about MIDI translator and have used it to make SAC fire off scenes via MIDI without having to use SAW.

But as you pointed out, it is hard to know where you're at then if you don't also have a visual of the SAC remote instance.

Also that starts to get to be a LOT of 3rd party crap going on. You would then have SAC remote, RTPMIDI, MIDI Translator all just to work with the tablet app of choice. You could automate all the start up with various tools but it could also be a troubleshooting nightmare I would think.

Oh well.. I don't care about wondering around with touch devices... so I'll just stick with the basic SAC remote.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Henry View Post
    Found a similar app for Android, not sure if its as good but it also lets you build your own interface.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...derrico.dawosc
    I've been playing with the free one for a couple days. The big pitfall currently is the jump to the touch point issue, but Mark was saying that he's close to whipping it.
    Ben Farmer
    Omaha, NE
    ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrician

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    Also that starts to get to be a LOT of 3rd party crap going on.

Yeah, the good ol' days when you had 5 different manufacturers stuff in a rack and had to troubleshoot which was bad or what set of trs to xlr was wired to the wrong pin. And cableing up sub snakes into main snakes into split snakes into more split snakes because there was an AV truck that showed up, and "where is that buzz coming from?".

Personally I don't see the pitfalls of working with this type of equipment any different from those that our audio forefathers worked with.

My first big "gig" was working with Stan Miller as an intern. He was a firm believer in the "what it takes" philosophy, even when I was with him in the early 90s he was still using some 1st party stuff (home made) even though he could get about anything he wanted.

My point being is that "3rd party " is part and parcel to our business. It might make things more complicated for some, but for the rest of us it allows us to work in ways closer to the way we want. I know that one of the local mantras is "take it for what it is, don't wait for the change you want", and unfortunately that means 3rd party.
    Ben Farmer
    Omaha, NE
    ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrician

I can see your point, but lots of patch cables, splitters, adaptor cables don't typically add to a scenario where you mixer would "crash" and you have to restart the mixing console.

I'm not saying this would crash SAC, but the more stuff like this you depend on working, the more likely something is to break. And of course Murphy says it will happen at the most inconvienent time possible. LOL...

I know all about the "bad ole days". I started with the only digital piece of gear in theatre systems were CD players and really ****ty sounding samplers that had less had 1 MB of RAM, if you were lucky. I've spliced A LOT of open reel tape. Well OK, we had reverbs, delays and such as well.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

brettbrandon Guest

Just got back from the gig and it worked flawlessly....
    Even adjusting multiple faders at the same time.
    Now to see if I can access eq, dynamics, ect...

Brett

brettbrandon Guest

Here's the final version of the mixer I am using. I was able to get the slider readout to match SAC's.

I got the Dynamics and EQ pages basically laid out and then found out that Randy's program is one direction and need endless encoders to work. This app dosen't have any of those and needs bidirectional communication to work. Here's how they look...

Looks kinda cool but can't see a way to get it working......... yet.

I think that mixer would work great for replacing the BCF's. I know there is no tactile feel to it, but you only need one. Just saying.....

Brett

Very encouraging Brett...good work!
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

9. Default Re: New Mobile Mix Pad

Meters?

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyJo View Post
    Meters?
    I don't believe meters are possible, as this is a midi-only interface. Meter data is not supplied as a parameter.

There are no meters on any of the existing SAC control surfaces, Behringer, Mackie, etc.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.