Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: New System Build

I've heard this "sky is falling" whining regarding Bob's software for the last 18 year. Meanwhile, I and many others have continued to make a living using SAW and now SAC. I wish everyone would stop complaining and just get to work!
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Angry Re: New System Build

As usual, a simple question turns into a ****ing Flame war.... Why do i waste my time.....

And YES i have looked for a motherboard that has Thunderbolt ( which i stated in my original message) and XP drivers.... = ZERO, Maybe its an XP thing and thunderbolt... i dont know.. Guess i dont really even care now....
    Carey A. Langille
    Producer/Engineer
    Ocean Sound Productions
    www.oceansoundstudio.com
    Creativity at the Speed of Sound

Just asking out of idle curiosity....
    Why do you need Thunderbolt for this particular machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Carey Langille View Post
    As usual, a simple question turns into a ****ing Flame war.... Why do i waste my time.....

And YES i have looked for a motherboard that has Thunderbolt ( which i stated in my original message) and XP drivers.... = ZERO, Maybe its an XP thing and thunderbolt... i dont know.. Guess i dont really even care now....
    So the simple answer is buy a motherboard with Thunderbolt and load win7 on it. SAW will work just fine.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey Langille View Post
    Hey Guys, What are you guys doing to get around the Issue of all the new Motherboards not coming with XP Drivers?? I want to build a new system, but all the new boards im looking at ( boards that also include a thunderbolt port) dont have XP drivers AT ALL..... Thoughts??

Are we SCREWED for new system builds and SAWStudio? Dont really want to go buy some Ebay New Old Stock Junk that Might not be NEW....

Bob,? your thoughts? Should i just install Windows 7?
    Carey, my suggestion... don't waste anymore time and money dicking around with XP machines. I have run SAW just fine on my 2 systems with Win 7. It is time to move on from XP. Yeah OK... maybe the Code runs better on XP... but I recorded a small concert on my laptop running SAC and SAW with a firewire interface and all was fine.

I would not bother with XP because not ony do some boards not support it but if you look at driver support for interfaces and the like, many new ones also do not support XP, same with other software and plug ins... I know ... why would you ever need anything Bob didn't create?

But if you care about any other software, it is time to move on.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Carey,

If you like Win 7... install that... if you feel Win 8 is cool, install that... either will be just fine with SAWStudio... just make sure your soundcard has drivers for whichever you decide to use.

You can use any motherboard which has your ThunderBolt if that is what is important to you... its all good... start building.

Bob L

I was going to say something, but decided that I will just sit this one out.

ooo, look.....a chicken....
    Ben Farmer
    Omaha, NE
    ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrician

It may be that you can squeeze more out of an XP system and it could feel like you're downgrading by going with a recent OS. But, for most of us the SAW + XP system had an excess of power. For me there's peace of mind with getting a Win 7 rig going, so I'll trade in a little power that I wasn't even using. I do understand that low latency based systems would be more of reason for worry. (I like to run at a comfy 1024 here).

Just curious, but I assume you veterans can fire up some of the old versions of SAW (SAW Pro?) even on the new OS's without a full recompile? Pretty amazing if so. I do wonder if and when Windows will eventually change something enough to break SAW, and what that would be...presumably something with the graphics. I don't lose sleep over it though.

That's my concern...I run SAC at 1 x 64 because we use IEM's and prefer to run SAW at 2x64 . Haven't tried SAC/SAW on the Win 7 or 8 systems....little gun shy after all the reports I've read.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
    That's my concern...I run SAC at 1 x 64 because we use IEM's and prefer to run SAW at 2x64 . Haven't tried SAC/SAW on the Win 7 or 8 systems....little gun shy after all the reports I've read.
    Just wondering... how hard would it be to run some tests and see what you get? Seems to me that while the processor load may go up a bot in 7 compared to XP, if you have a newer machine you also likely have some power to spare. It certainly wouldn't hurt to just run some test by just talking into some mic and/or running a CD player into the system.

Worst case you find out 7 won't work and you keep what you have.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/