Close

Thread: Shock Mounting

Default Shock Mounting

I'd like to pick the collective brain about shock mounting.

Just got back from a two week event, which went great. When I first powered up, my MOTU card wasn't recognized, so I reseated it. I figured the drive (5 hours in an open single axle trailer) was probably to blame... and with no further problems, I wasn't too woried about it.

It got me thinking, though, that there might be a way to shock mount the PC inside a standard rack. My case is a desktop case to which I have attached rack rails for front-to-back stability, but the load is borne on a rack shelf underneath. It's never moved during transport that I can tell. However... I was thinking about a layer of thin memory foam underneath... but, then, what about the rails...

Any ideas?
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Default Re: Shock Mounting

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Evans View Post
    I'd like to pick the collective brain about shock mounting.

Just got back from a two week event, which went great. When I first powered up, my MOTU card wasn't recognized, so I reseated it. I figured the drive (5 hours in an open single axle trailer) was probably to blame... and with no further problems, I wasn't too woried about it.

It got me thinking, though, that there might be a way to shock mount the PC inside a standard rack. My case is a desktop case to which I have attached rack rails for front-to-back stability, but the load is borne on a rack shelf underneath. It's never moved during transport that I can tell. However... I was thinking about a layer of thin memory foam underneath... but, then, what about the rails...

Any ideas?
    The quickest, easiest, cheapest idea would be to put your whole case in another case with 2" foam around all sides. This way you can use this "case-in-case" only when you need it, and can spare the bulk when you don't.

In 1999 I built home-made drum cases out of 2" foam and corrugated plastic for overseas touring. We had extreme weight limitations so heavy Anvil cases weren't going to work. These cases were not only feather-light, but survived FIVE world tours spanning 2-3 months each. Now there's a company who manufactures these exact cases (some argue they stole my design...LOL....). You can leave the case in the truck trailer when you don't need it. And as an added bonus, you can weather-rate your case for added protection against moisture.

I made one for our guitar player for his Marshall Amp and in 5 tours of being tossed through customs like a rag doll he didn't so much as lose a tube.

If you don't feel like making your own, there are now several companies who will make a case to your specifications. Here's one:

http://www.bensonbox.com/

If you feel like making your own, PM me and I'll send you some pics and some DIY instructions.
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)

Default Re: Shock Mounting

Why not just get a shock mount rack case, then everything inside will get tossed around a bit less.

Or my solution would probably be to just mount the computer in a separate rack that I keep in the truck or whatever is towing said trailer.

Lastly the actual rack mount computer cases do make a difference for stuff like this. They have special bars installed in them specifically for the purpose of holding cards into card slots better. Might be worth a look as well.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/