Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default More x32 woes....

I have a few of these now that I mix on, 2 in house gigs, and another 4 or so at Soundcos that I do pick up gigs for. I also start to see them frequently on the road where production is supplied.

I've noted before that they had some moving fader band issues that they may have cleared up (I believe only the 'Jelly Bean' fader models have that problem), but I've been having another issue that drives me nuts as well.

With the x32 you can pop in your USB key and pull up your mix, but you can also record the two track directly to it. The recording function is the source of my issues - it randomly skips/studders making the recording useless, or sometimes you will record a whole set, stop the recording and when you go to listen to it back you have a 0MB file....

I tried different keys, but this just keeps biting me - I recorded last nights show and the last set is a 0MB file, with plenty of space left on the key.

Hopefully it's something that they address in the next firmware update.

2. Default Re: More x32 woes....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
    I have a few of these now that I mix on, 2 in house gigs, and another 4 or so at Soundcos that I do pick up gigs for. I also start to see them frequently on the road where production is supplied.

I've noted before that they had some moving fader band issues that they may have cleared up (I believe only the 'Jelly Bean' fader models have that problem), but I've been having another issue that drives me nuts as well.

With the x32 you can pop in your USB key and pull up your mix, but you can also record the two track directly to it. The recording function is the source of my issues - it randomly skips/studders making the recording useless, or sometimes you will record a whole set, stop the recording and when you go to listen to it back you have a 0MB file....

I tried different keys, but this just keeps biting me - I recorded last nights show and the last set is a 0MB file, with plenty of space left on the key.

Hopefully it's something that they address in the next firmware update.
    There is nothing to fix. The USB recorder works fine, if you got a stick, that works. No all USB sticks are working probably, sometimes you need to try two or three different models before you find a good one. But this goes also for other live desks with USB (LS9 or iLive):
    http://iliveforum.allen-heath.com/to...earchTerms=USB
    In addition the file format on the USB stick must be FAT.
    Also, don't pull out the stick before the Access LED had gone out. Otherwise the recording will be damaged.

3. Default Re: More x32 woes....

Quote Originally Posted by Wurst Werner View Post
    There is nothing to fix. The USB recorder works fine, if you got a stick, that works. No all USB sticks are working probably, sometimes you need to try two or three different models before you find a good one. But this goes also for other live desks with USB (LS9 or iLive):
    http://iliveforum.allen-heath.com/to...earchTerms=USB
    In addition the file format on the USB stick must be FAT.
    Also, don't pull out the stick before the Access LED had gone out. Otherwise the recording will be damaged.
    Already gone through all of the pd that you had recommended using different sticks that have worked fine in other consoles - also tried it with various sticks as I tend to just keep them and buy new ones as needed. Formatted with FAT32 - FAT has a 2GB volume limit. I've waited up to 45 minutes after I hit stop on the console (while tearing down mics) to pull the stick.

Checked the sticks that had issues with recordings on a PC and found no faults. It's somewhat random, but very common - I generally loose a set a night, and I get skipping after about a half hour of recording fairly consistently.

The only thing that I haven't tried at this point is dropping the sampling rate to 44.1.

4. Default Re: More x32 woes....

Maybe it is a hardware defect on your X32 USB recoder. This thing is a third party device and is not build by Behringer. Can you save and recall scene over USB?

5. Default Re: More x32 woes....

Quote Originally Posted by Wurst Werner View Post
    Maybe it is a hardware defect on your X32 USB recoder. This thing is a third party device and is not build by Behringer. Can you save and recall scene over USB?
    It's happening on multiple consoles, I have 2 in my stand-by house gigs, another at my friend's Soundco, and 2 or 3 at another Soundoco that I do freelance work for. It has also happened to me on the road where I walked in and was using gear supplied at the venue.

I'm going to set up my laptop to do multitrack as I always have it with me anyway and see if I have better luck with that. I just did a Robin Hawkins gig (Ronnie Hawkins' Son) and did the hit stop, tear down the mics thing and it was a 0MB file when I pulled it up later to listen to it.

Since I started using my mix rack, I've been recording everything, and allot of the acts I work with have more or less come to expect it. Since I've been doing the two track thing with the x32, people have asked me for specific tracks from 'last nights show' and I have either had to tell them that I don't have it or I send it with a skip or two in it. It just makes me look flaky as it seems to be happening so often.

6. Default Re: More x32 woes....

very strange...did over 100 shows on various X32 and never had a single problem. I tape every gig onto this USB stick:
    http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-HighS...-USB-Stick-USB

7. Default Re: More x32 woes....

Are you running at 48Khz or 44.1Khz? I would guess that lots of people like to play music from the stick and unless you had 48K music, they would have to change it to 44.1K to play them. Which is why at some point I'll try it at 44.1Khz and see if the problem goes away.

Here's an example of the skipping

This was recorded onto this Flash Drive.
    I pretty much grab them as I need them from where ever I am, so I have a wide variety of them.
    Last edited by Andy Hamm; 07-30-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Default Re: More x32 woes....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
    .... I've waited up to 45 minutes after I hit stop on the console (while tearing down mics) to pull the stick.

... It's somewhat random, but very common - I generally loose a set a night, and I get skipping after about a half hour of recording fairly consistently.
    Since I've been doing the two track thing with the x32, people have asked me for specific tracks from 'last nights show' and I have either had to tell them that I don't have it or I send it with a skip or two in it. It just makes me look flaky as it seems to be happening so often.
    The whole CONCEPT of recording directly to a USB drive seems flakey to me. The "virtual soundcheck" is what I thought the purpose of that function was. Not to record an entire show.

For over 2 years on tours with the FIXX, I recorded shows to my laptop's harddrive using a Fireface400. I then encoded those WAV files to MP3 and transferred them to USB drives, and we sold them at the merch table immediately after every show. Worked flawlessly every time. I'd never try to record straight to USB.
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

9. Default Re: More x32 woes....

Writing from the console to a USB "stick" would probably be a bad idea as they're far too slow. Writing to an external hard drive enclosure that is connected via USB would probably work a lot better.

Default Re: More x32 woes....

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    The whole CONCEPT of recording directly to a USB drive seems flakey to me. The "virtual soundcheck" is what I thought the purpose of that function was. Not to record an entire show.

For over 2 years on tours with the FIXX, I recorded shows to my laptop's harddrive using a Fireface400. I then encoded those WAV files to MP3 and transferred them to USB drives, and we sold them at the merch table immediately after every show. Worked flawlessly every time. I'd never try to record straight to USB.
    Just this Summer I started recording a stereo mix live to USB drive, using a Tascam CDR200. This replaced the HHB I'd been using to record to CD-R in previous years.

I discovered that not any old flash drive is up to recording 2-track .wav in realtime, although recording to 192/mp3 seemed to work fine in every trial I ran. A moderately fast drive worked quite well, however... 4-5MB/sec write speed, IIRC

I really enjoyed not having to go through a 25-pack of CD's this year!