Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: More x32 woes....

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Just this Summer I started recording a stereo mix live to USB drive, using a Tascam CDR200. This replaced the HHB I'd been using to record to CD-R in previous years.

I discovered that not any old flash drive is up to recording 2-track .wav in realtime, although recording to 192/mp3 seemed to work fine in every trial I ran. A moderately fast drive worked quite well, however... 4-5MB/sec write speed, IIRC

I really enjoyed not having to go through a 25-pack of CD's this year!
    I've wanted to try those 1U Tascam units. There's the one you mentioned, and another one, IIRC. (They are the SS-R100 and the SS-R200)

There's also this one, if you wanted to get real fancy:
    http://tascam.com/product/dr-680/

Glad to hear your experience with the Tascam is a good one.
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

2. Default Re: More x32 woes....

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    The whole CONCEPT of recording directly to a USB drive seems flakey to me. The "virtual soundcheck" is what I thought the purpose of that function was. Not to record an entire show.

For over 2 years on tours with the FIXX, I recorded shows to my laptop's harddrive using a Fireface400. I then encoded those WAV files to MP3 and transferred them to USB drives, and we sold them at the merch table immediately after every show. Worked flawlessly every time. I'd never try to record straight to USB.
    The USB that I'm referring to here is the 2 Track, built in recorder. It's just there to let you make a simple 2 track board tape.

It also allows you to play your preshow tracks etc from it, but it has a limitation that it can't play wav files unless they are the same sampling rate as the console, so if you do a direct rip of a CD for instance, you can't play it back unless you drop the board's sampling rate to 44.1KHz.

I agree that the multitrack out to a PC via the USB port on the back may well have issues as well, but I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. The laptop I travel with doesn't have firewire so that's not an option atm.

I just set up one of the USB sticks that had stuttering and missing files on it to record direct from my DAW at the same sampling rate, so if it comes up without any errors, that should rule out the possibility that I consistently get crappy media (I usually get it where ever is handy to where I'm staying).

I've wanted to try those 1U Tascam units. There's the one you mentioned, and another one, IIRC. (They are the SS-R100 and the SS-R200)...
    ...Glad to hear your experience with the Tascam is a good one.
    Yeah, I like it. I opted for the CD version, simply because I still find a need to have that around... plus, it is possible to make copies of usb, sd, or cf flash onto a CD-R and vice versa... but it is not very fast at that... 45 minutes to copy 90 minutes of stereo recording.

...There's also this one, if you wanted to get real fancy:
    http://tascam.com/product/dr-680/.
    That's pretty nice.

UK A&H with SAC insert - SAWstudio_Lynx Aurora16_API-Neve Preamps_Behrckie controller

the usb recording function to me isn't reliable but it isn't a behringer special.. I've had planty of the same problem on LS9 as said.
    So I guess the conclusion is don't use it..
    In Parallel I've used for years the first, second and third generation of field recorder from Zoom with complete success. the transfer is real fast and the mp3 live encoding is quite good quality making it ideal for a full day recording 12hours without worry about it at all time. that is the broacast requirement equipment that you pay 12 times the price BTW.