Close

Default better fitting BNC connector?

I bumped my wordclock connector accidentally and the system went silent for a couple seconds.. More like a couple "Oh Sh*t , what have I done!" seconds.. It came back alive but scared me away from touching anything in my rack while the rig is live. Got me to thinking.... what if a little time and tarnish or corrosion on the tin surface occurs, and add in a little subwoofer vibration.......

I expect it was the outer shell, or grounded connection that killed it as the center pin was seated OK. Does anyone have a recommendation to tighten this up or replace the connectors with one that is much more solid of a connection?

Thanks -Eric White

2. Default Re: better fitting BNC connector?

Are you using 50ohm and 75ohm BNC plugs mixed?
    I've had this problem once with older cabling that had 50ohm (network type) plugs on it. These don't fit on AV BNC properly.

Default Re: better fitting BNC connector?

hmm.. good question. I don't have a clue. I thought they were the AV type but the outer shell just seems too loose against the bnc female. I will check. Thanks.

-Eric

4. Default Re: better fitting BNC connector?

I don't know why there is a difference anyway between them, but there is.
    I always thought BNC=BNC.

5. Default Re: better fitting BNC connector?

I use cables from l-com that have VERY thin wire.. it makes less of a "pull" in the connectors.. and their bnc's are all good stuff like trompeter

i know they are not 75 ohm, but these have never given me a minutes trouble

http://www.l-com.com/coaxial-rg142b-...ale-male-30-ft
    Last edited by Sound Machine Inc; 08-04-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Default Re: better fitting BNC connector?

Quote Originally Posted by Sound Machine Inc View Post
    I use cables from l-com that have VERY thin wire.. it makes less of a "pull" in the connectors.. and their bnc's are all good stuff like trompeter

i know they are not 75 ohm, but these have never given me a minutes trouble

http://www.l-com.com/coaxial-rg142b-...ale-male-30-ft
    I been using these same cables and connectors for my wireless antennas for at least 5 years if not more like 6 or 7 (damn failing memory). Not a single one has failed or given any trouble....roughly a dozen cables in all. But in all honesty I rarely move the antennas...maybe a couple times a year to clean the area around them.
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)