Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Consolidating SAC System into single case

Not sure if this is appropriate but feel free to delete if it is too far off topic.

We want to get all of our components into a single rack system. Computer, monitor, 3 ADAs, 3 IEMs, and 3 amps. As such I have been looking at single rack unit power amps.

Does anybody have any experience with either the Behringer Europower EPQ450 or the Europower EPQ304?

Our power needs are modest and we already have a Peavey IPR1600 that works nicely for our subs. These new amps would be for monitor duty and mains.

Obviously price is a big consideration.

Thanks,

Doug Danforth

2. Default Re: Consolidating SAC System into single case

What about two-space, four channel amps? That's good economy of space and offers more potential power if your needs grow.

3. Default Re: Consolidating SAC System into single case

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyJo View Post
    What about two-space, four channel amps? That's good economy of space and offers more potential power if your needs grow.
    The EPQ304 is a 4 channel amp that fits in one space. It only provides 4 x 50W into 8 Ohms so that is probably enough for monitor world but maybe not for mains.

So, I'm thinking that one EPQ304 for monitors and one EPQ 450 (2x130W into 8 Ohms) for mains would give me 6 channels in two spaces - which is just about all the space I have available in my rack.

Doug

Default Re: Consolidating SAC System into single case

There are also some decent 8 channel amps. You can often bridge channels so you could have 4 lower wattage channels and run with 2 bridge channels at higher power. I think they are 2 or 3 rack spaces.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

As you're in Dublin I'd take a look at the amps Thomann offer. I've got one of the d4-500 and the larger heavier one, forget the model. I haven't subjected either to any real punishment but you get a 3 year warranty which is hard to argue with.

They're cheapo Chinese made but the only real criticisms in the found of these is their 2ohm performance isn't what's promised. Given 2ohms operation is a fools game imho I don't think that's an issue.

The d4-500 is rated at 250wpc into 8ohms. Much more headroom than the behringer and still only 1u. It will bridge into 8ohms too.

Initial casual use is favourable. They sound fine and seem loud enough to justify the power ratings.
    Last edited by Mattseymour; 09-30-2012 at 10:00 AM.

He is in Dublin, OH. The OH is Ohio.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Doug,

If they ever show back up on eBay, check out the GTD M-2500 amps. The price is right, and they work quite well. We have several of them in installs, and they're running reliably.

For a bit more change, Bose has the PM-8500 which is a neat 8 channel amp that can be configured as 8 single channels, 4 bridged pairs, two bridged quads, or any combination thereof. Supposedly it has all the DSP you want built in. I've been looking for a job in which to spec one to try it out, just haven't found the right place yet.

Ashly also has something similar, except it only does single channels or bridged pairs.

BTW, we did put the EPQ304 into an install... it's pretty puny.

BE
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    He is in Dublin, OH. The OH is Ohio.
    Ah. I forget the US lacks any original names

Well... Should there be any one over there selling the kobble amps, whichever model is branded as the Thomann d4-500 is worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Evans View Post
    BTW, we did put the EPQ304 into an install... it's pretty puny.
    Out of interest: what did you use the EPQ304 for? Monitor duty or something else? I've been thinking of it if we ever go to separate monitor mixes for everyone in the band. Not sure if we will ever go there, though. Our wedges are pretty efficient, so don't need huge power. But in my experience few things are more annoying in a monitor mix than having an amp that doesn't cut it.
    --
    El cheapo SAC host V1.0: Lenovo - C2D E6550 - 2GB RAM - RME Digiface
    El cheapo SAC host V2.0: Fujitsu - i3-6300 - 8GB RAM - RME Digiface USB - (3) ADA8200 - 17" TFT

Check out ART SLA 4
    Single rack 4 ch 100Watt at 8 ohm per ch I have used them for monitors with jazz and mild country acts with good results
    Also ART SLA 2 200 watt per ch again at 8 ohm

They don't really like being run at 4 ohm at high power levels so just 1 speaker per ch
    Since they are rated at 8 ohm they are equivalent to amps about twice their size

Butch