Close

Default Mysterious Midi Device Change

Every few days or so, the setting for Options | Midi Device Setup will change from Frontier TranzPort to FireFace. I have saved the Preferences, etc., multiple times.

This FireFace is an outboard USB model. Could the Midi Device Setup be affected by the order in which I turn things on or off?

Would it be worth changing the SS Prefs file to Read Only? Of course, I understand that means that I'd have to change the file back to Read/Write if I wanted to change it.

Thanks.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Default Re: Mysterious Midi Device Change

USB devices will change their device id order when things are plugged in and out or turned on and off... Windows does this and it is a very annoying habit... keep all things plugged into the same usb port and powered up before booting Windows and hopefully the device order will stay the same... but even that is not a given.

Bob L

So, the Midi Setup chooses the device based on the order of the list, not the name of the device? Is there any way to change that? I guess not, if it's a Windows thing.

Hm, there are still things to like about USB interfaces, but this is a pain.

I think this switch occurs when I turn on the USB FireFace during bootup. My recollection is that turning the FireFace on before the computer results in the device not being recognized, so no I/O appears in SS. Seems like waiting until bootup is complete will be the solution, so that the TranzPort is the first thing on the Midi Device list.

Thanks for the info, Bob.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

It uses a device ID... and that unfortunately gets pushed around. Names seemed to get changed more often from driver revision to driver revision, to Windows updates... etc... its just one of those ongoing Windows things that make it a less than joyful ride as a developer.

Trying to lock down the prf file does no good because the devices re-order within Windows based on what is going on at the moment.

Just make sure you are saving the main preferences for devices and not saving F-Key pref files by accident.

Bob L

As long as everything is turned on and ready to go before you start SAW (or any audio app for that matter) then everything should remain the same. The key is to power up in the order you will always do it. Then open SAW and set it up the way you like, save your prefs and then do it the same way every time.

I think there are some other IDs that can be used other than device numbers shelled out by Windows, but with USB devices those numbers will change if you change which USB port a device is plugged into.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

...and what USB port you use, and what other devices that are plugged into a lower number USB port I believe can also change this winbloze device id.
    Ben Farmer
    Omaha, NE
    ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrician