Close

Thread: M-Disc burner

Default M-Disc burner

Has anybody started archiving on M-Disc? If so, what is a good reliable burner that is M-Disc compatible?

Thank you,
    Bill
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Default Re: M-Disc burner

Hey Bill,

I've been using automated evening backups to a 6 TB network drive, but hadn't heard of M-disk. I don't have any answers, but I'm looking forward to the discussion.

Thanks.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Blog Entries

Bill,

Just curious...why are you considering this technology? By today standards, any type of "disc-based" methods are considered "old".

M-disc, as far as I have been able to ascertain, was begun back in 2009. Millenniata, Inc. - the developers, officially went bankrupt in December 2016

Have you considered "other" methods of archiving?

Again...just curious!!

M-Disc is relatively slow and not a massive capacity, but its got the longest currently shipping archivability (good for something around 1000 years)

If you need an actual long term archive its currently the only option commercially available.

You can do standard hard drives, but the data has to be rotated every couple of years.

SSD's also need to have data rotated and haven't been around long enough to really know how long they will hold data.

Funnily enough about the only other true archive media is plasticized paper tape (almost literally ticker tape), but also really slow and not readily available.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

It all started with a client who's reading his own books and wants them on that medium.
    I guess I have to go get an M-Disc compatible burner. Some are pretty inexpensive.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Bill
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio